GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gonna get another Thomas 327, but before I buy I want to weigh my options. Which of these are the best (I know engine driven is, but Im not going that route now) .. with all that said I want reliable, I hear some 100% duty cycle compressors do so cause they run super hot and that they burn up quicker ... the Thomas has been fine so far, and is supposed to be reliable, but I just want to see what else I could do.

Viair 400C (what air ride sells with their Big Red)
Viair 450C (KP sells this and the 400C)

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
The 400C pumps more air than the 450, but is only 33% duty cycle.

Considering you probably aren't the type that plays with their switches all the time (you'd need a lot of free time for that with your setup ;) ), a 400C would be the route I'd take. :D

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
I like my 400c, it seems to handle the 5 gallon tank pretty well. I get nervous with it running so much sometimes, but I then realize i'm well within the 33% duty guidelines.

Don't let the 33% duty cycle scare you off...it isn't going to be running near as much as you think anyway.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, either one is a step up from the Thomas while I like it and it has done me well, they say the biggest tank they would run it on is a 3gallon, so I would need two for 6 gallons .. whereas the 400C probably could handle the 6 gallons on it's own with the old thomas as a backup just to get aired up.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
hey bcubed... is 6 gallons of air even enough to air your truck up? I mean, i guess u could get ur truck off the ground, but if u play with it at all i would think u'd be out of air really fast. I would think about going with at least 10 gallons of air. I know my friend with his caprice seems to run out of air with 10 gallons, but he plays with it alot.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
hey bcubed... is 6 gallons of air even enough to air your truck up? I mean, i guess u could get ur truck off the ground, but if u play with it at all i would think u'd be out of air really fast. I would think about going with at least 10 gallons of air. I know my friend with his caprice seems to run out of air with 10 gallons, but he plays with it alot.
:word: I'm happy with my 2 5 gallon tanks, but I wish I could have gone with 2 six gallon tanks. You might as well get the 450 because I agree with 2k1slvrdo, that compressor is going to kick off more often than you think.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Six is enough to air the truck up once from off the ground. I only have 5 gallons of air right now and i'm looking to upgrade as it runs out very quick. Lets me lift the front and the back to rideheigth and not much more before it kicks on.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
Six is enough to air the truck up once from off the ground. I only have 5 gallons of air right now and i'm looking to upgrade as it runs out very quick. Lets me lift the front and the back to rideheigth and not much more before it kicks on.
damn... how low do you ride? I have enough air for my truck to be at ride height when i'm aired out, for me to hit the all up button, and its at ride height. I did it that way so i never would have to worry if my gauges went out. But i'm riding a good 6-8 inches lower in the front than a stock truck. and IMO i ride pretty low

1 - 11 of 11 Posts