GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Green Team!!!
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 5.3 i want to get rid of the clutch style fan and go to the electric fan like the vettes. can i use one out of a corevette,camaro or what do i need

·
SC 6.0
588 Posts
Get the ones off a LS1 Camaro, they can be found for $80-$150 bucks on ebay. The harness you can use can be found at www.nelsonperformance.com. You will need a tune I believe to activate the pins on your PCM though. Or you can go a diffrent route and do the electrical stuff yourself. I have the LS1 fans and Nelson harness, who also did my tune, so they were already active. Hope this helps a bit.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Only thing I'd add would be a larger alternator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have ls1 fans with the stock alternator and they work fine.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I could undercharge my Z at idle w/ the 105A without efans... pulling an extra 30A at idle isn't the greatest on the 105A alt.

·
Team White!
446 Posts
We need to go to a junkyard around here and see if we can pull a pair of e-fans

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Single blade, dual speed Taurus fans work well. Pulls nearly 5000cfm on high speed.

·
Redistributing The Wealth
435 Posts
I ditched my stock clutch fan and threw in a set of LS1 fans for 60 bucks off ebay. Harness from nelson performance and on stock alternator. Work great

·
Paint it Black
142 Posts
how much does the nelson harness run?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
pm dlh2006 on performancetrucks. He sells the harnesses for $70 shipped and they're good quality.

Nelson harnesses are like $100 I think

The benefit of electric fans is that the engine no longer has to turn a bigass fan to cool itself. So instead the electrical system takes on that burden. With the engine having that much less drag on itself it helps with gas mileage and power.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
Im glad you have the patience to explain this stuff a million times Mark... I have gotten tired of reading countless threads on this shit...

some people need to phukin search...

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Im glad you have the patience to explain this stuff a million times Mark... I have gotten tired of reading countless threads on this shit...

some people need to phukin search...
It's funny you say that because people bitch at me alot that I'm an asshole on here when I tell them to

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
lt1 fans work to you just have to make brackets... a drill 4 bolts and strapping alunimum will take care of this

i had 80 bucks in my old trucks fans (lt1 camaro fans)

lt1s and ls1 are the same fans just on a differnet peice of plastic for mounting

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
It's funny you say that because people bitch at me alot that I'm an asshole on here when I tell them to

the same threads get so damn old...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts