GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys know about electric water pumps? I've heard that just like the e-fans, they reduce drag on the engine to the tune of 15-15 hp. Does anyone have any personal experience with them?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Race car only :imo
why do you say that? the useage hrs ive seen on some of them have been insane, more than a mechanical water pump. As long as its set up right (no hacked up wiring, etc) then you should never have an issue out of it. If i could afford one for my lsx motor, id do it...the cost is the only thing keeping me away.

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
why do you say that? the useage hrs ive seen on some of them have been insane, more than a mechanical water pump. As long as its set up right (no hacked up wiring, etc) then you should never have an issue out of it. If i could afford one for my lsx motor, id do it...the cost is the only thing keeping me away.
I had always heard they are not as reliable.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I had always heard they are not as reliable.
its as reliable as the rest of the componets you use and how well the work was done that goes into it, just like anything else. With it being electrical, it CAN have more gremlins, but use quality componets and whatnot and there should never be any issues.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I've heard they are not worth the hassle for a few hp :imo

I wouldnt put one on my truck unless I was going for every last bit of HP, if your not then dont waste your time or money, your stock one is more than efficient

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah I wanted to run one, but I've seen 8rwhp for $475...

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
I honestly wish people would do some research before just posting I "heard" this and I "heard" that. The meziere street EWP's are good for 3000+ hours, so in easy to understand terms if you ran your truck for 3 hours a day it would last 3 years MINIMUM, there are some guys on tech who have had them on for 4 years on their DD with no problems. Typical rwhp gains are in the 7-9 range but one of the biggest benefits to me is that when you pull in to the pits at the track you can run a switch to kick on your efans and EWP and really cool your motor off. Instead of sitting in the pits for an hour or more to cool off the ECT's will be below 160(needle pegged all the way to the left) and no more heat soak. It is the last mod I would do, there others more worthwhile but IMO if its the only thing left to do its worth the money. My buddy is running one on his truck with no problems. We double stacked the water pump gaskets to get the correct belt alignment since the pumps are made for the f-bodys and vettes which have the accessories positioned closer to the block then the trucks. Here is a pic of his setup cant really see the pump but you get the idea, you can see the polished finish by the accessorie bracket and that black WP pulley.
IMG_0820.jpg

you cant hear the pump in this video but the truck does sound good IMO:D
th_MVI_0812.gif

N/A 5.3 RCSB Z71 224/228 110 cam, WCCH Edelbrock 205 Heads, LS6 intake full bolt ons and obviously a Meziere EWP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts