Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electrical system in my truck is going butt wild. Heres what happens:

ABS, Brake, Airbag, SES lights all are flashing with randomness
Battery symbol comes up in the panel
Gauges all go from left to right like crazy
PRND321 blinks and often just turns off

The system acts as though you are turning the car to run, you know how the SES light comes on and the airbag light blinks for a few seconds.

Well this happened before and it turned out to be a rusted out battery connection, so i fixed it and replaced teh battery and all was honky doory

Also my truck has a terrible time starting and staying running, but im assuming that is due to the battery being fucked and the computer needing to "re program" itself.

So, I'm guessing its the battery again? Does this sound like an alternator prob? It has to be due to my stereo, cause this started after i put it in. I dont have any shorts, or anything drawing excess current. I just think my stock system cant keep up.

Since i already have replaced one battery (6 mons ago) i dont want to keep buying batts. Im going to take some of my SFA money :flame: and get two yellow top optimas and a high out put alternator. I can get very high amp alternators like 300 amps for not too bad, they come out of ambulances and police cars. Whoever knows electric stuff real well Critique this set up. Im going to make a list of what i want to run/will run in the future and tell me if the 2 batts and alternator will work or if i need more.

2 8" 130 watt offroad lights
2 6" 130 watt offroad lights
5 Orange cab lights
switch for lights
switch for lights
Alpine H/U 7 something series
Xtant 302a amplifier
Xtant 1001d amp
12k lbs winch
air compressor
1200-1500 watt inverter

That is all i can think of for now.

P.S. The amps are very efficient, like close to 90% so they arent drawing tons of current ALSO I cant remeber what it is called but they arent the type of amps that when they get more power they put outmore watts, like....at 12 volts they put out 1k watts and at 14.4 they put out 1k not like RF amps that put out more power as more is supplied....did that make any sense?!? :crazy:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
check all of yoru grounds also, a loose ground can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, it sounds like a ground, but with electrical it can be really difficult to tell. Run your truck for 15 minutes at speed with ALL accessories off, ie radio, a/c. Once your Voltmeter seems to even out write down the reading should be around 14. Then run everything you normally do when you are experiencing the problem and write down that reading. If its the same, then it has to be a bad ground somewhere, either behind your faceplate, near your computer, or a corroded main ground. If the reading with everything on is lower, then your alternator probably doesn't have the amperage you need, in which case the computer could be thinking that the battery is being disconnected and then reconnected.

As for the new accessories. If possible install the new alternator as a secondary, while keeping the old in the loop(new bracket and belt), then set one of the new batteries up off of the new alt, and run all your new accessories off of the secondary system. This setup will enable you to run more without changing the primary electrical system. It also keeps your engine and computer on a separate system so you can more easily identify future electrical problems.

·
got beer?
189 Posts
I totally agree sounds like a ground problem,most of the time went shit is going crazy or acting really weird its a ground problem. :imo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts