GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to plan out the audio system on my project/show truck. The plan is going to be a very basic system, couple small subs behind the seats and some speakers in the kick panels or door panels. I was thinking with the advancements in phones and ipods etc could I just eliminate the head unit all together? I could probably get away with some sort of hidden receiver where I would just plug in my phone via the headphone jack or even a bluetooth setup? If anyone has done this let me know what it takes. Again I am looking for a clean,simple and cheap setup.

thanks!

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
It should be similar to the ipad/tablet setups people use..

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
you will want a seperate hu. the hu is what has all of your adjustments on it

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
you can hook a phone directly to amp....me i would want a parrot bt unit or one of the hiddne cas units so i dont have to plug it in could use bluetooth then and would still have a radio even if i didnt have a phone.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
im going to be honest, i am huge into sudio but i dont see how having no hu would work

An hu has voltage which is what you se when it says (2,3,4 or 5 volt preouts) and the amplifier "amplifies" voltage coming from the hu so again i dont know how this would work

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
im going to be honest, i am huge into sudio but i dont see how having no hu would work

An hu has voltage which is what you se when it says (2,3,4 or 5 volt preouts) and the amplifier "amplifies" voltage coming from the hu so again i dont know how this would work
I would technically work but the sound would suffer horribly as well as other things. OP would be much farther ahead to buy a cheap HU with BT and just hide it under a seat or something if he is wanting it hidden. I think the last HU I bought was a Kenwood with BT and 4V preout for $150.00.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like a cheap hidden headunit is prob the best option, I just expected something cheaper/simpler was out there.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Most people are to cheap for that
He didn't say how much, he asked if he could, and you can. You can do anything with the right amount of money.

I would technically work but the sound would suffer horribly as well as other things. OP would be much farther ahead to buy a cheap HU with BT and just hide it under a seat or something if he is wanting it hidden. I think the last HU I bought was a Kenwood with BT and 4V preout for $150.00.
I'd LOVE to hear your explanation as to why it would sound horrible.

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like a cheap hidden headunit is prob the best option, I just expected something cheaper/simpler was out there.
Look into audio control units that offer Aux Inputs. No need to spend $1000 on audison for this (Although it would be nice).

I used an Audio Control LC7. It is discontinued so look on ebay for cheap units. I paid about $75 for mine.

Get a 3.5mm cable to RCA and plug it into the input of the above mentioned unit. Control the volume from your phone and let the LC7 act as a line driver for the ipod signal to your amp(s).

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I would love to hear how a head phone jack will give a clean sound. Do you not believe that the higher voltage preouts make a difference?
A "clean sound" depends on several factors. There is the internal processor itself, the amplifier for the headphone output, the line impedance, and the pre-amp of the amplifier itself. Now lets say the music device is good to go on all those things. What's the output voltage on that device? Let's say its 250 mV, sounds reasonable, right? Ever wonder why an amp has a gain knob on it? That gain knob probably ranges from 250 mV - 6 V. What that means is, if you have a 250 mV signal, you can get full output from that amplifier. Example, my van does 160's with 0.37v on the RCA's. Depending what subs I have in there (impedance rise) I can clamp 13k per strapped pair of SAZ-5000's @ 11.6v. Clearly RCA voltage isn't impeding the amps ability to make power.

So I know what you're thinking, "power doesn't mean it's clean", right? Why do the top high end HU's have 2v RCA's? Better yet, let's do an experiment. You think your system sounds clean right? Play a tone, turn it up to the volume you listen to, and report back your RCA voltage as read by a DMM.

Cliff Notes: RCA voltage isn't what makes a clean signal.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I can agree with that and probably do not have quite the knowledge you do but I have first hand experience with someone plugging a phone from the had phone jack directly to the amp and yup sounded horrible. Some these other options people have been throwing out would help and probably be a good sounding unit but the quality of sound can also be a subjective measure, what you think sounds acceptable could be awful to the next person.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I can agree with that and probably do not have quite the knowledge you do but I have first hand experience with someone plugging a phone from the had phone jack directly to the amp and yup sounded horrible. Some these other options people have been throwing out would help and probably be a good sounding unit but the quality of sound can also be a subjective measure, what you think sounds acceptable could be awful to the next person.
Odds are, that same device that sounds horrible plugged directly into an amp, also sounds horrible used as a source into a HU using the same method. The BIGGEST "sounds horrible" I've seen with phones used as a source is that little thing we like to call "volume control".

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
God Damn I didn't mean to offend you but since you seem to be some sort of stereo god I will never have a differing opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
God Damn I didn't mean to offend you but since you seem to be some sort of stereo god I will never have a differing opinion.
Ignorance offends me. Saying "phones sound horrible" is like saying "my car is fast". Just because your phone sounds terrible at full volume (and you never tried 3/4 volume to find it doesn't sound horrible there) doesn't mean my car isn't running Forumula 1.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Also BTW, I suggested the Bit One because a friend of mine has one, and uses just his phone as a source, and his truck sounds incredible.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
The bit 10 I a lot cheaper. Would that be something that could be used?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts