GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of getting new shocks because the superlift ones are too bouncy on the highway. I was thinking i wouldnt need a set of rezis since my shocks dont cycle fast enouhg to build that much heat so they would be a waste.

so instead of rezis i was thinking of emulsion shocks? i dont know much about them except they are nitrogen? my question is are these able to be valved to suit my application? would they do good for a dailey driven and semi offroaded truck? dont haul anything, dont tow anything.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Emulsion shocks were designed primarily to be run with a coil over not just by themselves. I have never seen anyone just run a straight up emulsion shock, I would think it was uneccesary

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i see, so the only option for a valved shock would be a resi?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know that an emulsion can be valved, but you said that they would need a coil over. so other then an emulsion the only other real option for a daily driver would be a 2.0 resi right?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
you dont have to get a resi i believe

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
Any shock has a valve and therefore specific valving. Typically only higher end shocks(gas charged, emulsion, resy or otherwise) can be revalved as the cheapies are welded shut after manufacture. Who wants to try and revalve a poor manufactured twin tube shock anyways?

All you need is a stiffer shock, I had Superlift shocks on mine and the 5100 Bilstiens are much stiffer and won't be nearly as soft on the road. There is no reason to go out and buy a 2.0 reservoir shock other than more bling on a stock travel truck. You simply won't cycle the suspension enough to reap the benefits.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any shock has a valve and therefore specific valving. Typically only higher end shocks(gas charged, emulsion, resy or otherwise) can be revalved as the cheapies are welded shut after manufacture. Who wants to try and revalve a poor manufactured twin tube shock anyways?

All you need is a stiffer shock, I had Superlift shocks on mine and the 5100 Bilstiens are much stiffer and won't be nearly as soft on the road. There is no reason to go out and buy a 2.0 reservoir shock other than more bling on a stock travel truck. You simply won't cycle the suspension enough to reap the benefits.
i agree, with everything you just said. i rode in my friends hd with 5100s and it was stiff as a pogo stick. i dont need the bling, or need the extra oil capacity of a resi so i was hoping the emulsion would give me the ability to valve it, minus the bling.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Emulsion shocks were designed primarily to be run with a coil over not just by themselves. I have never seen anyone just run a straight up emulsion shock, I would think it was uneccesary
I believe your thinking of bypass shocks. Emulsion shocks are just like all other non-resevoir shocks. As long as it's a high end shock thats rebuildable you can valve it to whatever you want. Buy a valving kit x4 and have fun.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright so emulsions are fine to use without a coil over? thats what i thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts