GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BIG boys want BIG toys
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I clean my engine by just spraying it down with a water hose and some degreaser? Do i have to worry about the electrical connections ( EX: spark plug wires). Are should I spray them with something like WD-40 to keep the water out. :think:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I powerwash my engine, degrease when necessary. I also put silicone spray in all my spark plug wires when I put them in, never have a problem with water.

·
BIG boys want BIG toys
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks whifflebat I'll try that hopefully I would'n have any trouble.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Matt said:
i know on obs you cant get the distributor wet, nbs is prob diff though
Gotten mine wet plenty of times, the silicone in the wires helps alot. If you get it inside the cap itself, pull it off, dry it out. It might not start right way or run very well if you get it wet enough. If that happens I just let it sit for a while then take it for a drive.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
jebx said:
I always put di-electric grease in so you can get them off without a hassle later on. I believe that repels water too.
yeah I think they do about the same thing. A trick I learned from my boss is to spray silicone spray in the ends of hoses (radiator hoses etc) and it makes them come off easier when you replace them...Next time I have a hose to replace I'll try that.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Is there a significant difference in strength or whatever between normal simple green and the automotive simple green because i have a gallon of the normal concentrated stuff so is it worth going and buying the automotive grade to clean my motor or will it be the same to use normal simple green?

·
Registered
703 Posts
There the normal everyday simple green and if you goto autozone or something like it you will find automotive grade simple green, they make alot of other types of cleaners and antibacterial stuff as well

·
Registered
703 Posts
LOL, well does it smell better? I think it might be a tougher degreaser, says Pro Series on the bottle. But this just all might be to fool us guys wanting to clean our engines :think:

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
i just try to avoid spraying anything electrical directly, get it wet enough to clean it up, but there is no need to power blast it.
Just get your engine warm, spray it with your prefered degreaser and hose it off, I like CD2. If you are feeling really energetic then you can bust our a rag and tooth brush and clean out all the nooks and crannies. After than I like to finish with a nice 'detail spray' to make things shine a bit. Again, my prefered weapon of choice is CD2.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i just spray mine down with regular simple green and then wash off. then after it dries, i spray it down with some tire foam and wipe gently with a towel to even everything out

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If its not real muddy, I hose it down, spray with armoral and let it sit, then wash it off and do it again. The last time I wipe everything down and touch it up with a wet towel.
KTEngine.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts