GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stars and bars aficionado
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had this happen, if so, how the hell do you get the bolt out? I had to pull the rubber piece out and wiggle the top off of it but the part the bolt screws into free spins in it's socket. It won't break free from the bolt and I've tried tiny plyers and wedging a small flathead in between while unscrewing the bolt but nothing works. I don't want to cut that piece off but I will if I have to cuz I can jb weld it back on once the bolt is free but I'll be dealing with it in the future. I don't even know what to call that top part to order a new one...

·
Some dude on the internet
787 Posts
Try to squeeze the plastic tower that insert sits in with pliers while you turn the bolt to try to keep the threaded insert still. If that doesn't work, you can try to lock onto the bolt with vise grips and hammer the whole thing upward to pull the insert out.

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea, I shoulda thought of that but I was tired. I'll try it this afternoon, I'm heading outta town right now and have it back together for now but thank you. I'll let ya know if it works.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Yea don’t try to hammer the whole thing out. Doesn’t work well.

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea don’t try to hammer the whole thing out. Doesn’t work well.
Well yesterday I put some jb weld round the edges and down inside between the plastic and metal and I've been too busy today to check it out but in the next couple of days I will. I have some things to take care of first that are time sensitive so I gotta do that. Then I'm parking my truck and tearing the front end down to re-replace the steering and suspension parts I got from o'reilly last year. They maybe lasted 3 months, junk parts, but it's all I could afford. But I ordered better parts online and went ahead and got rotors hubs/bearings, and cv axles cuz my driver side is leaking. So I'm gonna be doin that after I get all my mom's stuff outta storage and stored on my property. I only have 3 days and I don't wanna lose it or pay another month cuz it's all I have left of her, she died in October. And I also have that property to clean up, we just bought it and it's trashed. Tweakers lived there and just left everything so I'm drowning in things to do and no time to breathe. I will get back on here tho with an update as soon as I check it out tho. And I appreciate the help, if my way doesn't work, then I'll try y'all's suggestions.

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vise grips around plastic piece didn't work. Jb weld almost worked but not enough space to apply product to so it wasn't thick enough to have any strength and finally gave way so I may just leave it like it is for now. I've managed to figure out how to get the cover on and off no problems and as long as it isn't causing any problems then it's fine like it is. I did in the process find my vacuum leak I've had, it was my pcv hose to the front left hand side, it was cracked down the side. I cheated and covered it with heat shrink tubing cuz I don't have a hose to replace it with. Also part of my air intake wast busted, a huge split that was hidden from view until I took it apart and took it out. I jb welded it too and it worked and it's underneath so not seen. Now my truck isn't acting as though something's holding her back. Now when this damn rain stops I'll be replacing my sway bar links, inner and outer tie rod ends, lower ball joints, cv axles, hubs, rotors, pitman arm, idler arm and bracket, and if I can get it shipped to me quick enough my steering gear. I'll be getting some tires soon too cuz I've worn these smooth. I keep the roads hot lol . Also have some led bulbs and fog lights coming soon. And after I start working again I'ma get tow mirrors, fender flares, and step bars, just got fix my rockers and cab corners and above my rear wheel wells. They have the tiniest bit of rust but I'ma knock it out now while I can and I'm also gonna rip my carpet out and put vinyl in then eventually get a paint job on her and do my exhaust system, tune, and lift kit. I'm thinking about buying cheap trucks around here and cleaning em up and flipping em but gotta wait til we get our new property cleaned up and get something built to live in. I'm wanting to build me a garage to pull my truck in and work on even if it's raining outside but gotta talk tohe hubby into it first lol. I have an interview tomorrow so we'll see how that goes first .

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
My god.

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know right. Sorry I can't help it I type a lot it's a flaw🤷 I do have a couple questions tho. 1) my knock sensors are good but is it still ok to remove the foam under the intake and just build a dam to direct water away from them? And 2) is a catch can worth the trouble and money or am I just as good without one?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
1.) As long as used some denso or Delhi sensors, and sealed the plug grommet in, go to town. No reason to even make a dam.

2.) Is your motor new? Do you have a big ass cam? If the answer is no, just fix the current PCV system, and stay up to date on the popin valve. That’s my opinion, I think the $100 could be better spent on new gaskets to reseal the motor, but to each there own.

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok cool, I've replaced the pcv valve and cleaned the egr, aic, throttle body, and valve covers really good. I got some royal purple engine treatment and soaked my valves and heads and let it sit while we were replacing my transmission awhile back. After that was done, I put more to rewet everything and used softer bristle paintbrushes to clean what I could reach, then I vacuumed the mess out and it was bad. I freaked out when I removed the valve covers cuz the sludge and buildup was bad but I got the big thick stuff out. I didn't clean down to bare metal cuz I didn't wanna remove the protective layer from the valves and lifters and before I replaced the gaskets and covers, I poured a quart of full synthetic royal purple oil onto, into, and around each valve and lifter. And I use royal purple at every oil change since then. I am actually about to change my oil here in a little bit and I bought the Mobil 1 high mileage extended protection oil with the Mobil 1 filter. I remember you recommended it to me before but I never tried it then decided to go with royal purple. I noticed a difference using that instead of super tech which my husband uses, but honestly I'm not overly impressed like I thought I would be . I've read amazing things about mobil 1 but it says online that you have to use their brand filter only with their oil. Last oil change the filters were out of stock so I just used royal purple again with ac Delco filter but they were in stock yesterday so I figured it's time to try it out. And about my knock sensors, they're original but working and if it ain't broke don't fix it so I guess I'll just leave the foam there until the day comes that they need replacing cuz I know it's inevitable. Then, I'll remove it and just seal them good but without going overboard, some of the pics I've seen online are ridiculous. I don't know everything but I have common sense and omg at the rtv mess some ppl create lol.sorry, I wrote a lot again, I just wanted to kinda fill you in on some of what I've done , I've done so much I have a hard time remembering it all but I no longer have the cel coming on. Every other trip it will cuz my cats are crap and I've run 2 bottles of cataclean with minimal improvement. So, I just need to get them replaced just until I can get a tune. I gotta do my headers and long tubes first and I'm still on the fence about whether to straight pipe and run duals or if I should get a muffler but I'm not sure which brand to go with. I like the paradox, everyone recommends magnaflow, and I want it loud, in an obnoxious, but badass, kinda way. Lol ok thanks for the advice, sorry for the book again, and I'll stop here. See ya later. I will let you know how it goes after the oil switch up. I feel like it will be better, the 1 thing I do not like about the royal purple is how thin it is but it's very slippery and my truck doesn't have the lifter tick after warming up, only after I first start her and while she's warming up....OK, BYE😜🤘

1 - 10 of 10 Posts