GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finally ready for to fire up my motor and I cant get it to start. I’ve got a 2001 4.8 truck engine. It has an LS1 intake manifold, 28.8 ls1 injectors, ls1 fuel rail returnless style, MSD fuel pump, Professional Products Fuel Pressure Regulator, Removed EVAP system, Removed EGR, Shorty Headers, 220/222 110 LSA cam, SLP ti springs.

Anyways I’ve tried to get the motor to fire and it fires right up but immediately dies like the computer is shutting it down. Do you think this is a tuning issue at this point? I do believe I have everything hooked up but I could have missed something. Please help!!!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Crank relearn?

And that combo, is that seriously your setup?

·
ThriLLHo
30 Posts
when I had put in my new pcm with the mail order tune it did that as expected...or is that the same as what u guys mentioned?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
x2, VATS issue. :imo

Yeah, I seemed to remember I had that issue when I reactivated VATS once another tuner turned it off for me. LOL... not by request. :nono:

I can't recall what I did, probably involved hand clapping, touching my toe to my nose, and something along the lines of the hokey-pokey.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When Charlie tuned my truck it did that. If you haven't tried, or forgot how to do the relearn:

Start the truck and let it die, leave the key in the ON position for 10 minutes. Pull the key for 45 seconds. Repeat two more times.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
Yeah, I seemed to remember I had that issue when I reactivated VATS once another tuner turned it off for me. LOL... not by request. :nono:

I can't recall what I did, probably involved hand clapping, touching my toe to my nose, and something along the lines of the hokey-pokey.
good ol nelson performance:wank:

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
When Charlie tuned my truck it did that. If you haven't tried, or forgot how to do the relearn:

Start the truck and let it die, leave the key in the ON position for 10 minutes. Pull the key for 45 seconds. Repeat two more times.
Thats the security relearn. I dont think that will fix the VATS issue.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
Thats the security relearn. I dont think that will fix the VATS issue.
What do you think VATS is? It's the security stuff that kills the engine immediately after starting if it thinks your key isn't in.

Actually, I doubt that truck has VATS (aka Passkey II), which is the one that has the visible resistor in the key. My 1997 Pontiac and 2002 GMC both had Passlock II, which has a normal key and keeps the resistor in the key cylinder.

Passlock II presents the exact symptom described, it fires then dies immediately.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~100917~PN~1

Unless I misunderstand the term "security relearn"...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ITS ALIVE!!! i was finishing up drilling and tapping the clamps to the frame to hold the fuel lines and hit the exhaust pipe with the tap handle and saw a spark. I thought hmm maybe i should check the ground to the engine. Bingo! i only had the ground on the back of the block finger tight. I tightened it down and she fired right up. I had to give it some gas for a few seconds to get her to idle but she ran for a few. Now i just need to hook up my fan and i can start to break in the cam. I'm so excited right now!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
What do you think VATS is? It's the security stuff that kills the engine immediately after starting if it thinks your key isn't in.

Actually, I doubt that truck has VATS (aka Passkey II), which is the one that has the visible resistor in the key. My 1997 Pontiac and 2002 GMC both had Passlock II, which has a normal key and keeps the resistor in the key cylinder.

Passlock II presents the exact symptom described, it fires then dies immediately.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~100917~PN~1

Unless I misunderstand the term "security relearn"...
i had this shit happen to me once. my friend had it happen quite a few times on his tahoe. i ended up taking apart my dash and unplugging the big guage wiring harness for my remote start and plugging it back in. no idea what it did but after trying everything she started up right after i did that. hasn't done it since

1 - 15 of 15 Posts