GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rollin with Saget
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my boss just got a 04 z71 and has had a few error codes thrown back at him from the truck. one of them is the engine knock sensor. is this an easy fix or is it something expensive for a 10 dollar part?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
The knock sensors are located under the intake manifold. Its not a hard job but takes like an hour or two. Just make sure you have a shop vac so you can scrap and vacuum out the sensors holes. They get full of rust and old water.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
so does the intake manifold have to come off to replace them?
yeah it does, and its not a cheap part either.I was told 300. My knock sensor is gone also but im not going to replace it. The only way i know for an engine to start knocking is to raise the compression and then the fuel start to spontaneously (sp?) combust. Which is solved with a higher octane fuel but this wont be a problem on a stock truck. Besides, you would hear a knock. Will I be ok if i just leave it?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I was told 300
There like 60-65 a peice and there are 2 so you do both while your in there.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
$54 cdn for mine
chances are you don't need to do the front one,the rear one is the one that rusts
before you put the intake back on remove the rear piece of foam,it will let water drain

1 - 7 of 7 Posts