GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Stars and bars aficionado
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the river last week and a guy came over checking my truck out. I opened my hood and we were discussing different engines and other stuff. He told me that he believed my engine is a 6.0 not a 5.3 like I had thought. He told me where and how to find the engine number but I've had no luck. Is it on the back and which side, driver or passenger? I know it will start with a T but how many digits and is it closer to the top or bottom? I'm really wanting to know cuz I'm pretty damn sure it's a 5.3 but he seemed confident enough. His son agreed and said the 5.3 doesn't have the EVAP...? Something (forgot what he called it) on the top passenger side of the engine but the 6.0 does and said the piston..something? would be different. I think he said piston order but I can't freaking remember there was a lot goin
on that day. Looks like a 5.3 to me but I'm still learning.

·
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Z71 edition, 5.3 Vortec V8, 4X4, Red, Extended Cab, Automatic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think he did cuz he seems clueless but the older guy seemed pretty smart. But it's a different motor and tranny, they were replaced before I got her so that's why I was wondering. But I got a mirror and was trying to see behind it on driver side and saw a sticker/label but it's crumpled looking and dirty, hard to read and a tight spot to get to. I'm not really worried about it just curious and I'm sure it's 5.3 plus everything I've replaced has been for a 5.3 and fit without problems. I don't know how different the 5.3 and 6.0 are but I would think some things wouldn't work and I just recently replaced the throttle position sensor and replaced the oil sending unit back in March. They may interchange on those parts tho idk. Anyway thanks.

·
Some dude on the internet
409 Posts
Behind your alternator bracket, right next to where the water pump bolts up is the block stamping on the front. It'll say 6.0 if it really is, or 5.3/4.8 if not. Here’s mine for reference. And yeah they don’t know what they’re talking about.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,724 Posts
The only other differences between the 5.3/6.0 are bore (piston size) and the camshaft specs. These things you can not see from the outside of the engine. There are year differences where certain parts are different (99-02) and (03+) like the throttle bodies and the oil pressure sensor etc. The 5.3 and the larger 6.0 even share the same injector size and part numbers. The tell tell sign from looking from the outside is the block stamping under the alternator bracket also on the rear of the engine hidden by the transmission/bell housing.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,724 Posts
To be fair, yours is easier to see the stamping than mine. Maybe I'll get a better one if I decide to do quarterly cam swaps like you. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah the last cam swap hurt a little, but keeping that cam would have made my dynamic compression soar. The good news was Texas Speed had all their bump sticks on sale for $300 during their "Stimulus Sale" plus I can recoup some of that back if I sale the low mileage "Little Chopper".

edit to add: spent close to $1000 on cams in two years ($ 235, 400 & 300) :eek:

Pic Post Whoring at it's finest 😂

chopper still looks nice!

still have the box and cam card!

new chopper!

new chopper and old sloppy stage two !

New Texas Speed Torqure v4 (hiding somewhere) in the pile!

·
Some dude on the internet
409 Posts
Yeah the last cam swap hurt a little, but keeping that cam would have made my dynamic compression soar. The good news was Texas Speed had all their bump sticks on sale for $300 during their "Stimulus Sale" plus I can recoup some of that back if I sale the low mileage "Little Chopper".

Pic Post Whoring at it's finest 😂

chopper still looks nice!

still have the box and cam card!

new chopper!

new chopper and old sloppy stage two !

New Texas Speed Torqure v4 (hiding somewhere) in the pile!
Yeah, you're still the undisputed pic whore, lol. I didn't even take a single pic of my cam before stuffing it.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,724 Posts
Yeah, you're still the undisputed pic whore, lol. I didn't even take a single pic of my cam before stuffing it.
lol

My fave...

Sloppy with a beautiful coat of assembly lube during the build. My thought was she'll be sitting for a few months before install... so get it good!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
lol

My fave...

Sloppy with a beautiful coat of assembly lube during the build. My thought was she'll be sitting for a few months before install... so get it good!

I messaged you about the little chopper. Wanna get that for my 6.2. But don’t wanna pull mine out my 5.3, imo turn into a worthless 5.3 block.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Not saying the heads havent been swapped but check the 3 digits on the head. 317 came on 6l.
706, 862, 799, 243 came on 5.3/4.8

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok y'all thanks, sorry took me so long to get back to ya, been busy with the truck and my girls and a shit ton of other kids at the river constantly. My truck is loved by everyone and they all wanna ride in it, the kids live riding in the back and the guys mostly like hearing her run and the girls are all slutty Makin eyes at my truck til they see it's a bitch driving and not a dude then jealousy takes over and they get pissy😂 l love it. I love my truck. I don't care which motor really, just curious, and since I replaced the tps she runs and shifts so much smoother. I've bout determined the only thing wrong with my transfer case is a stretched chain and it's jumping teeth and I'm bout to replace the ball joints and all the control arm bushings up front. Then after I get a damn job I have lots planned including some custom upholstered seats a custom tune headers and short pipes cuz I was told that would keep her loud and I'm a loud and proud redneck so yea...😊 I really appreciate all the advice and info from y'all tho. Even tho some of you can be asses sometimes y'all do seem to know your shit especially compared to others I've seen on YouTube and other forums...just a quick off the subject question, do any of y'all know anything about Honda's? I been working on an accord for a guy and I think his ecm is shot cuz it cranks with no start unless I undo the battery and turn the headlights to the on position to finish draining the rest of the power from the ecm, and I undo the fuse box completely and let it sit 10 mins. Then I hook everything back up and I hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key and it starts right up but doesn't run more than 7-8 minutes then dies and has no power to the fuel pump again and the only way to get it started again is repeat the process. The EFI main relay and fuel pump is new the ignition and ignition relay are good the clutch shut off relay is good and not causing it so I'm thinking the ecm is the problem and by doin all the unhooking and power draining it temporarily resets until it runs a minute then stood fuel flow from the pump...is there anyway to reset it at home or does it have to be done by a professional at the dealership? Sorry, it's just had me mad as hell and if it was mine I'd burn it or run it in the damn lake but it's notbandbthebguy is paying me so I wanna help him but damn. I'm tired of it consuming all my time, I just washed my truck for the first time in over a week finally and had registered at a truck show but got so caught up with this car I forgot and missed it damn it. Anyway it's a 95 Honda Accord 2.2 5 speed any advice would be awesome. Thanks guys y'all rock.

~Keisha

·
n. fil-dert.
7,014 Posts
FFFF can you condense that into a sentence and I might read it lol

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,462 Posts
I read the first run-on sentence and this is what I have to say.

People love my truck too. I get tons of comments. Most are from kids and people that can eat an apple through a chain link fence. However my truck has 4 different colored body panels, is rusted to fuck, and has dents on most of the bed. Just because someone likes your truck doesn't mean everyone does. Also people thought Hitler was a good leader so if you just go off opinions that make your argument sound good you can make anything work.

So please tell me again about how you love to burn Jews?

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FFFF can you condense that into a sentence and I might read it lol
Sorry, I was tired😏. I didn't realize I wrote so much. Basically, I love my truck, I think I've figured out my transfer case problem, I got a lot of other shit I plan on doing to my truck in the near future, you guys can be asses but all in all I appreciate y'all and y'all's advice, and I need help figuring out a p.o.s. Honda Accord....was that short enough, cuz I tried that time I swear.🤐🤫

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read the first run-on sentence and this is what I have to say.

People love my truck too. I get tons of comments. Most are from kids and people that can eat an apple through a chain link fence. However my truck has 4 different colored body panels, is rusted to fuck, and has dents on most of the bed. Just because someone likes your truck doesn't mean everyone does. Also people thought Hitler was a good leader so if you just go off opinions that make your argument sound good you can make anything work.

So please tell me again about how you love to burn Jews?
Um ok that was totally a weird reply. I know everyone doesn't and that's fine. All I was saying is how much I FREAKIN love it and, with y'all's help and advice, she's running and driving really awesome. So I was pretty much just saying thank you. But whatever, anyway... I don't even know how to respond to your questions/comments so..I plead the 5th? 😕

1 - 18 of 18 Posts