GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching all over for answers to my question, I am hoping you guys can shed some light.

I have a GMT900 Silverado 4x2 5.3L and I would like to know about anyone else that has installed an engine oil cooler on one of these engines, I don't really care about the year or even the size as long as it's similar in principle.

For those who have installed, was there any problem with oil pressure, I know coolers can have pressure drops across them and since the filter feeds the pressurized parts of the engine directly, this could have some problematic side effects.

Does anyone know if these engines have oil temperature senders? I would think they do, I'm thinking of getting an Aeroforce Interceptor to see this number along with others. What is a normal and what is a max engine oil temperature?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
i know some if not all of the 2500 trucks come with oil coolers. there is a provision on the side of the block right above the oil filter where cooler lines can be mounted...i've heard that the oil filter location on the 07+ trucks has moved from where it was on the 99-06 trucks so im not sure if the cooler lines changed..they were on the driver's side rear of the block

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
If you're REALLY serious about adding one, I'll get you some pics of factory 2500HD shit installed on my 1500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know some if not all of the 2500 trucks come with oil coolers. there is a provision on the side of the block right above the oil filter where cooler lines can be mounted...i've heard that the oil filter location on the 07+ trucks has moved from where it was on the 99-06 trucks so im not sure if the cooler lines changed..they were on the driver's side rear of the block
I have seen the cover where the factory cooler would go but haven't found a lot of information about it.

If you're REALLY serious about adding one, I'll get you some pics of factory 2500HD shit installed on my 1500.
I would love to see pictures of your install. That would be awesome.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
First you need the radiator w/ the oil cooler provision, it's on driverside. Unless you want a separate larger cooler. But unless you road race or something, I don't really see the need. The factory one will suffice for just about all applications.

Next you need the oil lines from factory or fab up yer own with the block that bolts to the motor from Lingenfelter or something (this has Army/Navy fittings and a few 1/8" NPT dudes from memory ready to go for pressure/temp senders). There's a few 8-10mm bolts that secure this to the block. Look just above the oil FILTER and you'll see it. MANY people tap this for oil pressure for turbo kits.

The OE oil lines run under the exhaust manifold/header up to the radiator. And there you have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First you need the radiator w/ the oil cooler provision, it's on driverside. Unless you want a separate larger cooler. But unless you road race or something, I don't really see the need. The factory one will suffice for just about all applications.

Next you need the oil lines from factory or fab up yer own with the block that bolts to the motor from Lingenfelter or something (this has Army/Navy fittings and a few 1/8" NPT dudes from memory ready to go for pressure/temp senders). There's a few 8-10mm bolts that secure this to the block. Look just above the oil FILTER and you'll see it. MANY people tap this for oil pressure for turbo kits.

The OE oil lines run under the exhaust manifold/header up to the radiator. And there you have it.
Looks like I have a little bit of a project ahead to replace the radiator, not to mention the cost.

·
GMFS Member
845 Posts

Doc, throw some pics up if you can. I'm doing this right now and can't figure how to route the lines.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Doc, throw some pics up if you can. I'm doing this right now and can't figure how to route the lines.

The OE ones go under the driver motor mount and under the PS pump. They're a bastard to route properly.

I'll get some pics, but you owe me a beer if we ever cross paths.

·
GMFS Member
845 Posts
Is it easier to route them from the front/top or from the rear of the engine?

How 'bout a six-pack of Hoegarden and some Stella?

Dude, you're awesome. I would really appreciate it. The wife's out of town and my girls are about to wake up from their nap.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Oil1.gif

Oil2.gif

Oil3.gif

·
GMFS Member
845 Posts
I love you.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Mind you I am missing a clip that holds the lines together, but I'm never at the GM dealer and don't want to pay $50 to ship it from GMPD.com and some shit isn't loomed.

But you should have a good idea of where the shit travels. I think it holds 0.5-0.7 of a quart more.

·
GMFS Member
845 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

I can't recall, I THINK I ran the adapter block under the PS, then the motor mount, then to the motor itself. I just can't recall.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts