GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea a friend of mine had some engine cleaner/armoral. It makes all of the plastics an covers an everything look nice an shiny like he armoraled his engine. All he did was prayed this stuff all over his engine an just let it sit for a few min. an then started his truck up. Where could I get something like that an what is it called? Thanks

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I occasionally clean mine up with some Simple Green, takes the grease off and gets rid of the mud. Don't know if thats what you're looking for though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I used to clean my Lumina ngine with Simple Green and a hose, but can you do that with a 5.3L? Is there anything you shouldn't shoot with a hose?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I found that "Simple Green" will remove paint from certain surfaces. I'm not sure if you can dillute the product with water or not. If so, it would be a good idea. :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
its ok to hose the 5.3 down. everything is sealed.

This man knows!!!

On my '94 I have been known to hose down everything with a pressure washer at the car wash with no problems. Your results may vary though, the distributor cap and wires usually don't like to get wet.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Only thing you have to worry about at all on the 5.3 is there is a design flaw with the rear bank knocks sensor. Water can leak in and damage the sensor and cause corrosion on it. It will turn out like this:

Just try to avoid spraying the very back end of the engine, like dont get it all up in the intake manifold. The fix for this is just to seal the sensor off with som RTV, I recomend doing it if you wheel it alot.

·
Wal-mart sucks
30 Posts
On my truck i cover the TBI, the distributor and the alternator with tinfoil. Then hose it down liberally with gunk foamy engine cleaner. let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and spray it down with the hose.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Only thing you have to worry about at all on the 5.3 is there is a design flaw with the rear bank knocks sensor. Water can leak in and damage the sensor and cause corrosion on it. It will turn out like this:

Just try to avoid spraying the very back end of the engine, like dont get it all up in the intake manifold. The fix for this is just to seal the sensor off with som RTV, I recomend doing it if you wheel it alot.

Hey DE do you have some more details on this? Maybe some pics of where to look :worship: . :rocking:

rkik

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
while motor is till warm... spray with water, let sit, spray w/ armor all, let sit, spray w/ water, let sit, then spray w/ armor all one last time and wipe down. looks fuckin cherry!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts