GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so i am swapping out my engine for Matthimself's 5.3 and to be honest i am a little confused about how i should go about it

right now he says its stock with a LS1 hot cam and LS6 springs.. Is this going to be a very reliable combo? what performance is added with this, and what does this do to the truck? i know the theories on the parts i am just not familiar with the setup,

I am not planning on putting it in right away so if going back to a stock cam is going to be better let me know

thanks

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
You should be good as far as Daily Driving goes. That cam is a pretty mild cam IIRC but makes descent power.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
i'd take the hot cam out of there if i were you. it's not a good cam for a truck :imo

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'd take the hot cam out of there if i were you. it's not a good cam for a truck :imo
Thats what i was thinking. Isnt a LS1 made more for top end?

My uncle is a mechanic (i would say a pretty conservative one) but he was confused about why the springs were changed, and why the lifters werent changed if he changed the cam, can anyone elaborate on that for me?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
My uncle is a mechanic (i would say a pretty conservative one) but he was confused about why the springs were changed, and why the lifters werent changed if he changed the cam, can anyone elaborate on that for me?

Thanks guys
The springs HAVE to be changed when you do an aftermarket cam, and the lifters do not need to be changed.

You uncle is used to soemthing with flat tappet lifters that need to be changed with the cam.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah I'd go with a more truck friendly cam, but it depends what you're after. Trying to make a vehicle with the CD of a brick run 10s isnt' the best idea, but to each their own.

Give us the skinny on what you're expecting, what you do with the truck, tire/gear combo, trans, torque converter planned, etc. Then cam thoughts can be given out. :imo

The nat aspirated 5.3 is just limited by it's stupid bore, so take it for what it's worth or turbo it.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
This is exactly what the thought was when the cam was installed in Matt's truck, but it ran perfectly. Matt drove the truck daily with it in with no issues ever. Justin tuned it and was a little nervous at first with the cam but was surprised how well Matt's truck handled it.

I think there's nothing wrong with the combo as it has already been proven to run great in Matt's truck. Nothing sketch about it

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im all for it not having a problem yet, i would just really rather keep it this way...

i drive my truck as a daily but some performance would be nice.

right now its got a 3" lift but it is soon to have a 6"

currently with 33"s but soon to be 35"s

what is meant by "truck friendly"

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
imo regear to 4.56s once you get the 35s and keep the cam in and the truck will be a blast.... i miss my lope already.........

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just go to 5.13:1 at that point, I have 4.56:1 gears on 285s. I'll admit, 5.13:1 gear sets are weak so 4.88:1 may be better choice.

Truck isn't going to get 20mpg on 35s, ever.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
w/ my old set up, the one in question here...... i got 15-16 on flat freeway going to pismo if i stayed like 65..... going 75-80 got me a consistent 13-14 and city was 12

all on 35s w/ 4.56

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
And that's all you'd ever see, 4.88:1 would give more acceleration and give up very little in terms of economy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts