GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm left feeling stupid! I'm looking for a k30 but.... i know it's gonna need more power I was thinking of building up the 454 or swapping in a newer engine like a vortec from a 99-06 silverado. But heres the tricky part I have no idea which vortec to get I was thinking the 6.0 which from my knowledge came factory with the option of a nv4500. Am I heading into the wrong direction? would I be better off building the 454? And is it possible to swap the np205 onto the nv4500?

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,679 Posts
You could put a lot of different transmissions behind an ls based motor. I would suggest the ls based motor before the 454.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,679 Posts
The amount of money could make the same amount of reliable power and have a good fi setup that is an ls based motor. The 454 is out dated. You could drop a 5.3 for around a grand and make a little under 300 hp.
I doubt the 454 yours has is even close to that.

I would pick the ls based motor over the 454 every time

·
Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.
4,254 Posts
ls 6.0 and be happy and done, 6.0 will out pull that old 454 all day long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ls 6.0 and be happy and done, 6.0 will out pull that old 454 all day long.
If I go with the 6.0 and nv4500 i cant use the stock transfercase so I was thinking about swapping a dana 300 is this transfercase strong enough for 38s on locked axles?

·
Registered
382 Posts
What year K30 are you looking at? The squares never used the 4500. Would you be swapping in a 5 speed, or doing a solid axle swap on a later truck?

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,679 Posts
What year K30 are you looking at? The squares never used the 4500. Would you be swapping in a 5 speed, or doing a solid axle swap on a later truck?
Read his other thread. He was unaware that you could put a sm465 behind a 6.0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts