GMC Truck Forum banner

Engine swap

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  skylerlt 
#1 ·
I may have the option of swapping my '04 4.8 liter out of my truck and putting in an engine from my brother's '01 1500 HD( I think it's a 5.3 or a 5.7 engine) it's got the towing package. Can I swap just the engines or will I have to swap out the tranny, rear axle, and ECU? ANy help will be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
If its a NBS truck its got the 5.3. I think all you'd have to swap out would be the engine wiring harness and ECM, but I'm not entirely sure.

On the other hand, I really don't think that its worth swapping, the diferences in power between the 2 are minimal. But, if you can do it for cheap, go for it!

#4 ·
you can swap long blocks with him. you just need the block and heads assembled. you can switch all you accecories over from your current motor. wiring is the same and you can just get your stock pcm reprogrammed(nelson performance). its really not worth switching though from a 4.8 to a 5.3 IMO, its only a few ponies and not worth the cash for a retune. i would just tune your 4.8 and make it just as fast at your bro's 5.3, with less miles. IMO, i wouldnt do it.

#12 ·
if it's an HD, the only engines you can get are the 6.0, the 8.1, or the duramax deisel. so i'd go for the swap. trust me ;) the 6.0 is a mean motor if you know what to do to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.