GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently shot my 98 vortec 350 and was wondering what are my limitations on another motor. Id like to buy a new crate but i dont know what my options really are. can any of you shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
BuiltNotBought99 said:
man you could drop a 383 crate motor in there realitively cheap and still use tbi, but I would upgrade to a 454 tb, but other than that it's easy.
:think:

Probably easiest thing to do would be a crate motor. I look for a good engine shop in your area and ask them what they can do, then post what they say and we can all look at it :)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive really given thought to a 383 but i wasnt quite sure if all the electronics would still work right. MY dad tore into it today and so far he knows the head gaskets are gone but he still isnt sure if a complete swap is needed. I kinda want a new one 142,000 miles is alot on a 98. he thinks the heads may be cracked aswell.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you have a 142k then you might as well replace at least all the motor internals while you are breaking it apart if you don't do a swap.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
motors gettin dropped in today. its a 350 crate but it has a slight bore but its not much bigger. Hopefully my pops will have it finished by today or tommarow morning. :bowtie:

·
Want a Cowl Hood OBS !
60 Posts
did you end up boring your motor over or is it a new crate motor?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts