GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas i got an 08 gmc with the 4.8 in it. I was looking at the turbo kit from nelsons but i was wanting more boost then what it offers. What upgrades do i have to make to my engine to be able to handle the extra boost more then 10psi or so?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
a lot of FI guys also like the LS6 cam

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'd use the KB Racing kit, and the GT2-3 cam.

As for the bottom end, that all depends on your budget. I'd just throw it on the stock motor and build a 370 to swap in when you blow the stock motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed that the turbo kit was from trick. I sure do thank yall for all the adviceand ill have to look into the 370 tonight.

·
Registered
603 Posts
rod bolts and dual valve springs. thats all that holds mine together and im over 700rwhp

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
so they sell the trick kit for a higher price... awesome

go with kbracing's kit, that's what is on my wish list

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
How much are you looking to put down? What psi? A good many don't do much to the engine and are getting good results (see quik's post above). Tranny will be more of a concern than the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im really not sure how much psi yet my brother is putting out 38 psi on is evo, but i dont think it could stand that much. I do plan on changing the valve spring and i was wanting to put a different rocker arm ratio on it but i dont know if that is a good idea with the turbo. And who is the best to get a really good tune, i thought nelsons cause i live just outside houston and they are in san antonio so they are ferly close but if there is better i would rather do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill see if i can get him to send me the numbers. he had it on the dyno but im not sure what the numbers on that are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what upgrade should i do to my trans, i was thinking about swaping it to the 4l80e is that posible to just make a direct swap. yall have to forgive me im kinda new to the newer trucks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
my buddy from xessive motorsports in edingburg tx, had an 08 silverado stock 5.3 except for the cam pushrods and springs, built tranny pi converter built diff and he was pushing 16 psi on a 76mm with a 75 shot of tnt. best e.t. was 10.70 i believe on that then he built a 346 and ran a 10.60 without the nitrous but couldnt get it to hook. casper 08 was the name i believe its on youtube or streetfire. stock heads no studs all stock except for cam. noribuilt turbo kit from san antonio

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
what upgrade should i do to my trans, i was thinking about swaping it to the 4l80e is that posible to just make a direct swap. yall have to forgive me im kinda new to the newer trucks.
I honestly wouldn't bother with the 4l80e, more headache than it's worth.

Unless you've got some insane plans for your 4.8 that I won't comprehend, stick with your 4l60e and just stall it, kit it, cool it. True-trac the rear end and gear up if you need.
read more on here.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Im really not sure how much psi yet my brother is putting out 38 psi on is evo, but i dont think it could stand that much. I do plan on changing the valve spring and i was wanting to put a different rocker arm ratio on it but i dont know if that is a good idea with the turbo. And who is the best to get a really good tune, i thought nelsons cause i live just outside houston and they are in san antonio so they are ferly close but if there is better i would rather do that.
listen please....PSI means poop. its just measurement of restriction. if more psi was better then i would toss on a 50mm turbo on my truck and over spin the turbo just to say i made 40psi but in real world the power would be nothing.

what matters in boost is VOLUME. dont listen to any import fags to be honest they al lsay that turbo is capable of 50 psi. sorry thats on a 4 banger that doesnt have much cylinder fill. in the real world of v8s less PSI is better.

look this way a 3.0 supra with a t76 vs a 6.0 silverado with T76. the supra is half the motor size and runs 30 psi to make 700 hp, the silverado is twice its size and runs 15 psi to make 700hp

also more psi is more heat. more heat robs power that is why you want to make the most power with least amount of psi as possible. now if you can get 20psi of cool air vs 40 psi of hot air which one do you think will make more power?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts