GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TurtlePusher
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pieceing together parts to build a 383 and was wandering about how much HP im looking at. here is what i will be running.

-350 4-bolt block, .30 over
-Eagle or Scat stroker crank
-Eagle I-Beam rods
-Keith Black 12:1 Dome Hyperuetectic pistons
-World Products S/R Torquer 1.02/1.60 heads w/170cc intake runners
-not quite sure what cam im going to be running yet but it will be the best one matched to the heads.
-Victor Jr. Intake

Thanks

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Maybe low 400s. Gen I/II just leave a lot on the table compared to the heads from the Gen III.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Maybe low 400s. Gen I/II just leave a lot on the table compared to the heads from the Gen III.
That seems pretty generous. Just looking around on performancetrucks. I'd say somewhere around 350-375 more on the lower side of that.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
The cubes will help, but it looks mismatched with 170cc heads and a Vic Jr intake manifold.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
To be honest, I think it owuld be much easier and probably a little cheaper to do a 5.3L swap. Search for it on performancetrucks. You can find a complete 5.3L for about $500 if you look around and that comes with all accessories and possibly a pcm.

Once that's in, do a cam and bolt ons and you could hit 400hp much easier and it would be much more efficient that what you have planned. The gen III engines are so much easier to work with too(if you ask me), plus tuning is 10x easier.

·
TurtlePusher
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow that sucks. Im wanting to make at least around 450hp. Im guessing that bigger heads would be the best bet. Can i ope the heads up more to get better flow??
thanks

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I'm assuming he wants to make 450 at the rear wheels not that flywheel so none of those motors are gonna match up to what he wants. Expect the typical 15-20% power loss between flywheel and rear wheel numbers So that last one will only make about 360-375.Not to mension it's a $6000 motor.

Lethalyoyo-0
Randomhero-5

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
At 1.2hp/cube should make 459.6hp at the crank. 1.2 is on the low side.

20% power loss - we're at 367.68rwhp.

170cc heads are better for a 305-327 or a mild 350. Go with somethin like a 205cc for the 383-400. Vic Jrs are a bit better flowing on the high end over Performer RPM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts