GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I read something on here where a guy just got his truck 100% finished with all mods and let a friend drive it. While driving he ran over a cable of some sort and ripped the bed off the truck, where the tank was located which in turn the bags lost all air and the truck went down to rest on the frame( at 35-40 mph) which in turn made the truck veer off the road and hit a telephone pole completely fucking up the truck.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Handyman said:
I read something on here where a guy just got his truck 100% finished with all mods and let a friend drive it. While driving he ran over a cable of some sort and ripped the bed off the truck, where the tank was located which in turn the bags lost all air and the truck went down to rest on the frame( at 35-40 mph) which in turn made the truck veer off the road and hit a telephone pole completely fucking up the truck.
:bs: :read:

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Y2KSierra said:
:bs: :read:
Nah its real Steve, you must've missed it. That guy IMLOWR with the bodydropped single cab NBS, getting set up for 24's right now. Crazy story, but true. :crazy:

My truck has been stranded at home because of bags, but nothing has happened away from home (KNOCK ON WOOD). Closest thing was I had just got my truck bagged and was down the street showing it to the neighbors, I go to hit it up to turn the compressor on and nothing happens because I had broken the belt on my compressor. Had to drag it down the block to my house. :D :bowtie:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I was at a friend's showing it off to him, aired out and then couldn't air back up ... my gauge on my tank was way low ... ended up the power wire had just jumped off the compressor due to vibration.

·
Rollin with Saget
1,594 Posts
heres a bette question... ne1 ever lost presure goin down the highway?

or better yet... blown a bag? (if so, what kind?)

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
No blown bags, never stranded w/o air, and no encounters with cables and telephone poles (ouch :( )

Cameron

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Never been stranded, no blown bags, only problems been sticky valves.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
i hope mine is trouble free once i get it back, i think you will be okay with just some small routine manantice every now and then like checking bags for any sign of rubbing/wear/damage etc

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I don't have bags...plan to sometime down the road on something else i own...but i would think they would be like anything else...if you keep them maintained they should cause you very little trouble.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
RedneckDude said:
I don't have bags...plan to sometime down the road on something else i own...but i would think they would be like anything else...if you keep them maintained they should cause you very little trouble.
Periodic maintnence, qualty products and a good install is the key to having a reliable air suspension. Shit happes though and you could get a bad valve or fitting that takes a dump on you, but the majority of problems are caused by crap parts, bad install and abuse.

·
MIA
1,157 Posts
Never had a "failure" problem. (KNOCK ON WOOD)

I did however, have a bag pop. I was coming down a busy street, doing @ 45mph. This mini van hit some house siding (I wasn't following close, just could not see infront of her) It was about 2" wide an about 12' long. Anyways shit hit it making it spin like helicopter blades. Nothing I could do ... cars all around me. I am in the middle lane of a 3 lane road. The house sideing goes THRU my tire, get stuck comes around and put a 1 1/2" or so gash in my bag. (Firestone) ... it dumped the backend, throwing sparks and ripping up road tities for about 200 feet or so .. I had to pull over and jack it up, put in a new bag, air up and off I went. That took about 30 mins tops.

Sad part is NO ONE stopped ... :lol:

That's all I have had happen .. like Grounded said .. quality parts/quality install.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Last thanksgiving I was driving home from my brothers house and going over a bridge a truck in front of me blew a line or something and just dropped to the frame and slid into on coming traffic but no one hit him. All he could do is sit there and spin his tires trying to move. Held me up for 45 minutes.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i've been stranded once...

I had a leak in my air system, off my godamned pressure switch, b/c some fuck at the local dealership decided it would be fun to try to turn the pressureup. He didn't know you turned the top of the switch, and put a allen wrench in the bottom of it, and torqed it, which caused the brass fitting to crack. I was driving my truck home, and since there was nothing keeping the air iin the tanks, the truck slowly falls b/c of the lack of back pressure. So, i had to park my truck for about 15 mins (yea i was a dumb ass) and the truck slowly aired down to a point where i couldn't drive it, which wasn't that low b/c i was still on stock tires. Since my compressor had been running so much lately, the belt was weaked, and for some reason, when i started up my truck, the belt broke. I ran back and fourth between kragen and the place for about 2 hours, the belt is some weird size, and finally got my truck lifted up. But since the belt wasn't the right size, as soon as i got home, the truck fell, but i put it on wooden blocks. The over running of the compressor also led to my serpentine belt to run off track, so basically, my truck was useless for a couple of days.

but i've had no blown bags. and :word: to what everyone else said, if you buy quality parts, and get it installed right, chances are, your shit ain't gonna break down:read:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
01GMC said:
had to pull over and jack it up, put in a new bag, air up and off I went. That took about 30 mins tops.
Do you always carry a spare bag? I thought about buying an extra to have in the truck.

·
Registered
559 Posts
i used to have an air over leaf setup with 275/45 tires. when all the way aired up or just overinflated the bags would come CLOSE to the tires. well on my way to slamfest 2 years ago i was just gettin onto the entrance at the turnpike to head up to the show and my tires wore straight through my driver side rear bag.I didnt even notice it until i looked back and saw all the smoke pouring off of those monster truck tires from rubbing hard on the fenders. i didnt have any extra bags and its funny cuz no other shops had any either that was a 2600 for my rear. My buddy had to drive up to lake worth (1hour) away from where we were to get the bag from a firestone distributer and niether of us had cash to pay for it, so he had to use his credit card and his old man got pissed and took the card away from him. then he got back, and we didnt have any tools in my truck or his 65 impala to switch it out. not to mention that my suspension is t'ed off so it the pressure in one bag goes so does the other, so we had to switch to an elbow connector of some sort to get it to the shop that did my bag with my truck damn near 3-wheelin the whole way back. The three and a half hour trip to get to the show had an extra little fun time of 4 hours from start of problem to finish to get to the goddam show.but my girlfriend didnt bitch so i was cool

1 - 20 of 38 Posts