GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know I am going to get flamed hardcore,......but here goes.

Over the past month or so I have run my tank dry about 3-4 times.....it still ran,....just misfired some; gimme a break cash was tight. Anyway things are all good now,...but I was curious what adverse effects this could have on my engine.

I know there is water and soot and stuff in the bottom of the tank, so I know that could potentially be a problem. I put some HEET in the tank about two months ago whcih should have got rid on any water that was in there.

Yesterday I filled up and put two cans of berryman's fuel injector cleaner in. I'm probably due for new plugs too (100k).

Are there any lasting effects this could have caused to my engine?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
None that I can think of. Generally when it goes dry theres still a little bit in the bottom of the tank. Also, with a 4 year old truck and with the way gas stations are these days, I doubt theres much water or other stuff in the tank. Your fuel pump might not be too happy though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the water and dirt and stuff thats not a big problem unless you go to some strange gas station. But I would expect the fuel pump to take a crap fairly soon. I ran mine almost dry once to the point were when I took a right turn really fast all the fuel went to the one side and the truck sputtered a little until the fuel hit the pickup again. A few weeks later I was having some minor starting problems, and a few more weeks and the pump completely died. I talked to someone at the dealership when I was getting the new pump and pretty much he said that when the pump spins with no fuel going through it it spins to fast and burns up. Hope your luck is better than mine was or you will be looking at a big pain in the ass and some $$$ to fix it.

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
the fuel pump was probably pretty hot. i always heard that after your fuel level drop below 1/4 of a tank, you fuel pump is half way submerged in fuel and it heats up faster and cause more wear. but then again you always hear about those poeple who buy new cars and drive them for ever and always fill up when the low fuel light comes on.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Hope everything turns out allright, and next time just put 1 can of Cleaner in. Put more than recomended in my car once and the thing crapped all over.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the can said to treat 12 gallons.....i put 24 gallons in.

Also would this have fouled my plugs?

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
hmm might have fouled the plugs if the stuff ont he bottom of the tank was really dirty.

I would def buy a new fuel pump as soon as you run into some cash, since moneys tight.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OrangeCrush said:
hmm might have fouled the plugs if the stuff ont he bottom of the tank was really dirty.

I would def buy a new fuel pump as soon as you run into some cash, since moneys tight.
Cash was tight,....its not anymore thank god?

How hard is it to take the bed off so i can replace the fuel pump?

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
dont need to take the bed off, just undo hte gas tank straps, put a jack under it and lower it down, hte pump is inside the tank.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would probably end up taking the bed off anyway since my truck is too low to lower the tank.

Whats a good brand of fuel pump that would help me in performance?

Plugs?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Its very easy to take the bed off. Thats how I did mine. If I remember right its like 8 or 10 bolts that go up through the frame into the bed, and a few screws around the filler neck( becareful or you will break the filler neck like I did). 4 guys can pick the bed up faily easy or an engine hoist works well. If you want to do exhaust work taking the bed off makes that very easy as well. As far as brands for the pump I went with the walbro. They offer the stock size or a 255 gph pump, alot of people out there swear by these things. Easiest way to get them is on ebay, walbro sells direct on there for pretty much every car around.

·
It's Jerry's World
3,573 Posts
Chris, you jack the truck up :pow: then drop the tank lol

but yeah do like pony said, Walbro pumps are very reliable from what ive heard

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OrangeCrush said:
Chris, you jack the truck up :pow: then drop the tank lol

but yeah do like pony said, Walbro pumps are very reliable from what ive heard
:bitch slap: really? :anitoof:

:) I just figured it would be less work and a little faster if i lifted the bed.

·
professional smartass
5,589 Posts
well if you take the bed off your gonna need ppl to help you can drop the tank by yourself its about a 2 hr job to drop one and replace the pump...i wouldnt go buy a new pump until the one goes out 450 bucks is what they cost..if aint broke dont fix it......oh and i wouldnt let it get under a 1/4 anymore.....30 bucks worth of gas is cheaper that 450 bucks

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've seen cars come into my work that the tanks were dry. On some of the cars the fuel pumps go bad b/c of it, it could cause your plugs to foul out b/c of the water in the system.

·
LOW BLOW CUSTOMS
238 Posts
i just got my new fuel pump for 80 bucks @ NAPA, it's the pump only, the entire sending unit was like 270... i would never buy parts from a GM dealer, TOO expensive for my poor ass

go get a pump from NAPA and a new strainer less than $100.00

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
i drop the fuel tank alot to install gooseneck hitches at work. even with 1/2 tank they arent too bad to put back into postition. i used to know a guy that delivered fuel to service stations. he has told me stories about the shit that finds its way into gas wells. you would be surprised.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts