GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking that my 3.5" tips would look badarse coming out before the tire angled downward. I asked one of my friends about it, but he said it is illegal, and that all exhaust must come to the rear of the car. I was at the gas station and saw a 2wd ford with a body kit and he had his exhaust come out before the tire, so is it illegal or not? I know yall dont have the tennessee law book just sitting by you on your desk, but i figured it would be a good topic...thank for your opinions

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Dont see how it could be illegal if some trucks came like that from the factory, (ford lightning...and some f150's)...

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
even if it is illegal it's very doubtful that it is strictly enforced

·
4,725 Posts
Tell your friend to eat a dick, and make sure he does it.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
you are supposed to it exit AFTER the cab. On SUVs and cars, its supposed to exit the body entirely because it gases still could come back in the car, even through the trunk. I have turn downs on my blazer and have had no probs. Its one of those laws thats rarely (never) enforced and most cops probably don't know about it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
negative to all of the above minus gmc00z it is illeagal unless it came from the factory like that that is how some late 90s f 150s came with it exiting before the rear tires but we are not allowed by law to do that. with that being said i did it to my z-71 and i had a ranger previously that had a similar style exit! you would have to find the biggest asshole cop in the world to bust your balls about that though!

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
What is this your 2nd or 3rd post about "is this legal?" Haha man if I got pulled over in my truck the police couldnt even write down all my violations probably.

·
Bassmaster
701 Posts
I had turndowns for 2 years on my Tacoma, my friend had em on his Blazer, another friend had them on his S-10....cops never bothered any of us. The setup you want should be fine.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Legality all depends on where you live and what laws your city/state has. Here there is a law against putting on anything but a stock muffler but its never inforced except for the ricers(who the law was made for in the first place)

·
Registered
889 Posts
In TN that should be the last of you worries. I've had turndowns on all my trucks. There are alot bigger pieces of shit that pass inspection in Memphis than to worry about your exhaust.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
OK, you have vehicle inspections, if you're really that worried about it, find a garage and ask an inspection technician. I could not locate the relevant TN code, too many PDFs.

I am a licensed inspection technician in PA, if what you are talking about were illegal here, I might not notice it. We look for safety issues rather than technicalities. TN seems pretty laid back, I'd just do it.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
yeah, i'd go ahead and do it.

i think any exhaust modification here is illegal but if it is it is never enforced

9,777 Posts
you are supposed to it exit AFTER the cab. On SUVs and cars, its supposed to exit the body entirely because it gases still could come back in the car, even through the trunk.
do it man and tell your friend to stop running his **********...I have had like 3 trucks with turndowns and no problems. It is more of a deal on the SUV's like stated above.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts