GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering, how many of you have Flowmasters on your truck? I bought my truck with it already installed from a guy and it drones pretty good between 2500-3500 under load. I don't remember my old truck droning at all like that. Any of you guys have the same issue? I'm thinking of changing the exhaust because of it, on long trips (which is when we'll get the most use) it's a little uncomfortable. any thoughts?

I thought about just going full duals and 2.25" pipe. Any bigger than that and it would probably be too big for a 4.8L. Thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a flowmaster catback with the 40 series muffler, 3" in dual 2 1/2 out same side before the rear tire. Doesnt drone at all. Flowmasters drone if you dont pipe them out right. I love mine!

·
Rest in Pieces
2,362 Posts
Typically if you dump a loud exhaust under the bed it will drone a lot from 1700-3500 rpms. If you run the pipes of the back or behind the rear tire like stock then that will eliminate a lot of the in-cab drone. You'll still hear it but it won't be anything the radio can't cover.. and it'll stop some interior rattle as well.

I like to call them Dronemasters ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine comes out in the stock location, so that's not the issue I'm guessing. Gonna bring it to my friend's exhaust shop and get them to check it out.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The fact that it is a chambered flowmaster is 90% of your droning problem.
This. Run a long Magnaflow muffler and it'll be gone. I have a 6.0 and they're notorious for drone and even with it dumped over the axle the Magnaflow takes care of the drone.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Werd. Magnaflow will fix the problem. I've read tons of posts where people had Flowmasters and switched to Magnaflows. I love mine!!!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
i just installed a 50 series HD Flowmaster SI/SO 3.5" on my 2008 gmc 3500hd and has zero drone.. Sounds nice while at idle or accelerating.. I have the exhaust coming out behind rear passenger tire

·
hella cute n shit
7,652 Posts
Flowmasters drone, it's just a fact. Those that say they don't just don't notice it.

Run a single 3" Magnaflow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my spintech 3.5" single in dual 2.5" out had a touch of drone going up hills my flowmaster 50hd has none. Im sure if I had a 40 series flowmaster it would drone.. By the way the flowmaster sounds a million times better than the way over priced spintech Im so glad I finally put on a flowmaster ... I Would Like to try a Magnaflow one day....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts