GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is where Im at right now. I have a Single in Dual out 40 Series Delta Flow that sounds great but Just dosnt cut it all the time. And with these tires I cant really hear it anymore while Im up to speed.
I am wanting something louder. I had thought about taking this muffler off and putting a Regular 40 or maby even the new Super 40. But If I did that It would sound better/louder but I would be stuck at that sound.

Everybody wants to make a little noise once and a while. The louder the better sometimes.

So what I have been thinking about is doing a Bypass cutout to bypass my muffler and back to the rear exit tips making it Straight pipes when i want to make noise.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Using this
7205424.jpg

With a cable to open it up to bypass the muffler when I want to.
Running that overtop the muffler into a Ypipe to split it. And back to seperate y pipes to go back into the tail exit pipes.

Here is a quick drawing of what Im talking about to give you an idea.

I want something "Differant" that most people dont have. A nice Flowmaster sound for the daily ride but have this setup on so when I want to really get on it and turn some heads.

Call me crazy but Im really wanting to know what yall think :crazy:

Attachments

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slvrpismochevy96 said:
ALl i wanna know is did u make that drawing?
:LOL: Yep and very fast might I add. Not my best work lol Why? lol

·
Registered
703 Posts
Okie dokie, i like the idea of a cutout but all that looks really complicated, i say you locate the cutout where it is but run a single 3 in pipe off of it with a turndown instead of having it meet back up with your actual tails, but i still love the pimped out drawing, i swear i get a kick out of it every time i look at it

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think your idea is kick ass. I want to do it to my truck now. It doesnt look to complicated if you no how to weld.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
yah that's getting a little more complicated then it needs to be...like slvr said, just run a single 3" and dump it

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
99Silver5.3 said:
Get you a cheap Flowtech cutout and a QTEC eletric butterfly.
How much does that run? Im not sure how well the Electric one will hold up on my truck lol.

At first I was wanting to just dump it right at the cutout. But the more I think about it I just dont know. I like the idea of it coming back out where it does now. Seems like it would project better "out" that way instead of going under the truck.

There is a place that Exhaust is there "clame to fame" and he said he will do anything I want. So He can do all the dirty work I guess.

Any more feedback?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
BDZ71 said:
At first I was wanting to just dump it right at the cutout. But the more I think about it I just dont know. I like the idea of it coming back out where it does now. Seems like it would project better "out" that way instead of going under the truck.
Agreed, especially with a lifted truck. When you dump it you project the sound down at the ground, which is alrite at stock height and lower because it reflects off more, but when its lifted you don't hear much, its more or less lost. Also, having the exhaust go through the tips makes it resonate more, making it louder and deeper. For example, DE has his dumped, I think with a flowmaster 40 something, and I have a flowmaster, probably the same one or the 50 series, and mine goes through exhaust tips. Mine noticiably louder, and I think DE agrees :crazy:

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
BDZ71 said:
How much does that run? Im not sure how well the Electric one will hold up on my truck lol.

There is a place that Exhaust is there "clame to fame" and he said he will do anything I want. So He can do all the dirty work I guess.

Any more feedback?
Ah crap, I didnt think of that. Maybe just get you a Flowtech cutout. They are really inexpensive. You have ample room to get under your truck to open it. Depending on where you put it, ive seen alot of people say they kill low end torque.

·
Wheel On'
1,414 Posts
I had mine pipes out through the back and then had them cut off and installed a turndown and it is deff. louder. I set off so many car alarms its funny.

·
Broke
350 Posts
A dump will give you a lower, 'bassier' sound. That's a fact. I used to have one of those cut-outs a long time ago. Here are a couple of my complaints:

Short cable - I think it is like 5' or 6' long.
Cable breakage - I went through like 3 cables before saying 'Fuck It' (although I will admit I had the cut-out located very close to the exhaust manifolds at the time.)
Sealing - Often times I couldn't get it to close all the way (or at all)

Overall its a neat thing to have, but IMO to do it right you need to spend the money on a high quality electric piece. Going up over the muffler and then entering the pipes again is more complicated then necessary but it's also a cool idea.

Since it comes with such a short cable you are going to have to get out of your truck to open it. If you're lifted why not just get a regular cut-out? That's where electric ones are so neat, open that thing up on the highway when you want to pass somebody doing 55 in the fast lane...

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brodystruck said:
Since it comes with such a short cable you are going to have to get out of your truck to open it. If you're lifted why not just get a regular cut-out? That's where electric ones are so neat, open that thing up on the highway when you want to pass somebody doing 55 in the fast lane...

What do you mean by "regular" cut-out? The electric type or the one with the wingnuts?

That was one thing I had thought about was it not closing and the cable being to short.

How long do you think the electric version would last on my truck?

Im thinking about doing the cutout and just dumping it in the middle of the truck instead of the previous idea. I like that idea but it is a complicated layout.
I dont want the kind that you have to unscrew b/c I want to be able to do it while driving. Like you said, pull out and pass somebody and open it up. And when Im just screwin around or getting the truck dirty. That is why I wasnt sure if dumping it would be a good idea b/c it would make a good way to let water/mud in (but I guess if it is running that would not happen?)

Keep it coming

·
Broke
350 Posts
I think I dump would be alright in off-road conditions, just keep the engine running. When I said regular I meant one with wingnuts. Most of the time though with electric cut-outs you have to buy one of the regular ones and the electric valve goes on in place the the cap. Then using nuts you tighten the electric valve onto the cut-out. I don't know how long one would last on your truck though.... It'd be a PITA if it got stuck open though... Wouldn't be too loud but still.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i thought about doing the same thing to my truck but i cant find a 2 1/2 in cut out and, i want it to be manual.... less to worry about.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a buddy in college that had flows on an 89 (i think) camaro and a cutout. You could hear him 6-8 blocks away. He just put a dump in on his.

The one could thing about porting it through the pipes is the sound is not gonna be under you so it won't be as deafening in the cab.

Crazy Loud though. :D

·
Broke
350 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts