GMC Truck Forum banner

Exhaust on 2001 Sierra

Question 
1K views 28 replies 4 participants last post by  The Whale 
#1 ·
Hey,

Got a quick question for everyone I got a 2001 GMC sierra ext cab 5.3 v8 and looking to add some exhaust to it. My question is what should I put on. I'm looking for a deep sound that with very smooth. I plan on lifting this truck soon so i don't want it to have the hot rod sound to it I want a more deep pure sound. Thanks for your help.

#4 ·
K that is exactly what I was looking into =) Now my next question I've never had an exhaust system done in everyones opinion would I be better to buy there cat back system? Or just buy the muffler and how the muffler shop do the pipes? I'm looking to doi9ng single in duals out and would it be a benefit to keep the cat converter or cut it off obviously if I cut it off I wouldn't buy the cat back? I heard mix opinions about the cats being cut off wanted to get some more opinions on it.

#5 ·
K that is exactly what I was looking into =) Now my next question I've never had an exhaust system done in everyones opinion would I be better to buy there cat back system? Or just buy the muffler and how the muffler shop do the pipes? I'm looking to doi9ng single in duals out and would it be a benefit to keep the cat converter or cut it off obviously if I cut it off I wouldn't buy the cat back? I heard mix opinions about the cats being cut off wanted to get some more opinions on it.
1. You don't need your cats cut off, they aren't a serious restriction.

2. Cat-back systems are expensive, have the muffler welded in place of your stock one and dump it after the axle using stock piping. This should have your whole setup at less than $150. Tips don't loon clean in my opinion, alot of others will tell you that, too. But if you do want dual tips, just have the shop build them after the muffler.

#6 ·
cats off will increase noise level a lot & will trip an engine code because of your O2 sensors. get handheld scan tool, programmer or tune will easily clear the codes. but my opinion keep the cats and save yourself all that trouble. most guys just get the muffler and go from there..i dunno if you wanna run your pipes out the back..side. or just plain dumping the muffler. what setup with your pipes are u lookin into?

#7 ·
cats off will increase noise level a lot & will trip an engine code because of your O2 sensors. get handheld scan tool, programmer or tune will easily clear the codes.
No, the only thing that will work is a custom tune with rear o2's tuned out. A handheld programmer or scan tool will only clear the codes, not turn them off for good like a custom tune. The code would come back as soon as you started driving again.....

#8 ·
No, the only thing that will work is a custom tune with rear o2's tuned out. A handheld programmer or scan tool will only clear the codes, not turn them off for good like a custom tune. The code would come back as soon as you started driving again.....
nice catch :shake:

#9 ·
Ok I'm going to keep my cats on the pipe set up I'm looking into is I want to have duals coming out behind the rear tires I know the cat back system has the pipes coming out on sides of license plate and that isn't the look I want because I want to have some nice chrome tips that people see.

#10 ·
Ok I'm going to keep my cats on the pipe set up I'm looking into is I want to have duals coming out behind the rear tires I know the cat back system has the pipes coming out on sides of license plate and that isn't the look I want because I want to have some nice chrome tips that people see.
My vote is again, dumped. No tips = cleanest possible look. If you do want tips though, and it sounds like you do, just bring the muffler to a shop tell them what you want, they should be able to accomplish that.

Might look into a SI/DO (single in, dual out) muffler if you want dual tips.

EDIT: 4000 posts :big_banana_Dance:

#11 ·
don't buy their catback...but just the muffler & have the muffler shop route the piping to your liking.

#14 ·
and also in your opinion say if I dump the mufflers or run duals what muffler is the best one for the sound I'm looking to achieve i've never ordered mufflers and I can get them at cost I just gotta know what I'm looking for here is the list i got:

Delta Force Race
Hushpower 2
Muffler 40 Series universal
Muffler series 50 Series SUV-Performance
Muffler big block 50 series
Muffler big block 2 70 Series
Muffler cross flow 80 series
Muffler delta 50 series oem
Muffler hush power 2
muffler outlaw seires
muffler scavenger
muffler super 40
muffler super 44
street performance muffler
suv performance muffler

#15 ·
excuse me for my dumbness if I dump the mufflers how exactly does that work? LOL this is my first exhaust does this mean you won't see the exahust?
exactly

#16 ·
and also in your opinion say if I dump the mufflers or run duals what muffler is the best one for the sound I'm looking to achieve i've never ordered mufflers and I can get them at cost I just gotta know what I'm looking for here is the list i got:

Delta Force Race
Hushpower 2
Muffler 40 Series universal
Muffler series 50 Series SUV-Performance
Muffler big block 50 series
Muffler big block 2 70 Series
Muffler cross flow 80 series
Muffler delta 50 series oem
Muffler hush power 2
muffler outlaw seires
muffler scavenger
muffler super 40
muffler super 44
street performance muffler
suv performance muffler
those are all flowmaster..is that what yur wanting?

#17 ·
o jezzz i'm losing it lol here is the muffler list sorry I clicked the wrong brand NO I dont want flowermasters LOL List:

aluminized universal muffler
magnapack pol stainless muffler
stainless street performance
stainless universal
wide open perf race
xl maganflow3 chamber
xl maganaflow perf stainless
xl powerpack unpoli stainless

and in your opion what size in and out should I run I looked at the cat back system the muffler used is a 5x8x18 so just wondering now what my ins and outs should be and from that above list which muffler I'm looking into LOL sorry thank you all for your help with this newbie

#18 ·
lol it's cool. all u need is the stainless universal. or u could get the stainless street performance adding performance. the 18" case is exactly what you're wanting also because of the great sound it has. not too deep and not too quiet.

#19 ·
#21 ·
ok I have found the muffler I need thank you both for all your help I'll let you know how I like it when I get it on =)!!!!!
no prob! :shake:

and hell yeah let post up some sound clips when u get it all finished!

#23 ·
silverado dude sorry i posted before i got your last post so to you I just went with 5x8x18 cause that is what came on it the cat back system these are diffrent size that you gave me does this affect anything in the way that I'm looking?
Not really, the bigger the case the quieter it will be, also if you get an offset it will be quieter. For the universal mufflers the 5x8 and 4x9 are just for fitment issues but you wont have any trouble with either one.

Your factory exhaust is 2.75" 3" will weld up just fine, don't let the shop tell you any different.

#26 ·
oh wait I get it the 14" between the 18" inch is the case size sorry about that one so in reference to my last question the 14" would sound deeper and louder?
yes it would

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.