GMC Truck Forum banner

exhaust question

1K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  sexy6litre 
#1 ·
I know this is probably a stupid question...but what is the difference between exhaust manifold and headers?

today i blew a hole in my manifold....NOT HAPPY.

#3 ·
Manifold is a cast iron piece that all the exhaust is dumped into and sent on it's way

Headers are individual tubes that more efficiently move the exhaust in one straight, smooth path and collect (typically) further down

Headers are more efficient, therefore add horsepower.

#7 ·
How'd you "blow a hole" in the manifold?

I have several manifolds laying around. I'll make you a good deal.

I was going to ask the same. LOL

#8 ·
NO IDEA...it started out as just a crack...i was told it woud be fine for a while....being the dumbass i am, i pinned it comin off a stop sign, and the truck jsut started screeamin and makin all this noise..had some nice blue flames comin out the bottom....not fun.

#12 ·
If you plan on doing a cam soon, then headers are really a supporting mod you need to be seriously looking at anyway. Same with the rest of your exhaust if it's stock.

#13 ·
yea i will call my dealership and ask em about the warranty...

i have a flowmaster right now..
how do you like your doug thorleys? how much gain did u experience with them?

PS
what does dumping exhaust do? everyone on here has done it and i dont know what it is...im assuming its when u saw it off under the truck?
whats the point of this? How does affect the sound of the truck?

#15 ·
If you plan on doing a cam soon, then headers are really a supporting mod you need to be seriously looking at anyway. Same with the rest of your exhaust if it's stock.
The stock pipes flow more than enough for a healthy cam. If he gets headers and replaces the factory y-pipe, the stock muffler is the only real restriction left. Don't replace the stock stainless pipe unless you really have to. :imo

#20 ·
I would concur with 91_bowtie. Add headers and you should be good to go with a moderate cam. Is your truck a 4x4 or not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.