GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys i finally have had enough with my exhaust, i paid way too much for a shitty exhaust job, and broke all 4 YES 4 hangers on my exhaust- that big heavy exhaust had 4 HANGERS! shitty ones at that!!

heres what im thinking of so far-
Currently- Shortys-2.25 y pipe-3 inch-flowmaster 40-dual outlet 2.25-4" tips

wanting-
Long tube afterburner flow techs(good or bad? cheap price:)good)
either x pipe or h pipe?

if x pipe sould i get an actual x pipe, or maybe a dynomax x muffler ( has x pipe inside, will eliminate need for 2 mufflers and x pipe over 200 versus like 150))
also tossing around like a 5 inch tip or just a turn down.

was wondering since stock pipe is 3 inch, if 3.5 would be too much or would it hurt anything?

also wanting to put cut outs in someplace. Im down to either that dynomax x pipe muff or the dynomax bullets. i am wanting a very deep aggressive tone. not the usual just loud pipes. i liked my 40 but it didnt have the deep growl i wanted.

will not have cats. only ones i got round here are hair.

any help or comments suggestions. i was gonna get the necessary crap the exhaust shop didnt have. i go to a new guy now thats a helluva guy. does good cheap work

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've got the Dynomax X pipe muffler. I had two 40's stacked prior to this and i actually really like this a lot better. I gained some lower end and the sound is extremely similar to my 40's that i had. Without cats I would think it would be perfect but i cant do that where i am at.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if money is a concern id go with the xpipe muffler, your saving yourself from buying x pipe and 2 mufflers. however, with 2 mufflers you can swap them out if you dont like the sound. Not having any cats will open up alot of space for you under the truck. we really had to cut and weld alot in order to keep the cats when we fabbed up my exhaust. good luck. also bigger diameter pipe will have a lower tone then say 3 inch. my 4 inch is deep

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so say 4 inch pipe, x muffler, long tubes, and some maybe 6 inch tips?

think that would be a really deep growly kinda similar to a 40, or would it be that typical straight pipe crackling sound?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
so say 4 inch pipe, x muffler, long tubes, and some maybe 6 inch tips?

think that would be a really deep growly kinda similar to a 40, or would it be that typical straight pipe crackling sound?
I think that would be redneck as fuck :imo :rofl2:

although...

supposedly straight pipes on the OBS trucks sound fucking awesome. Do it but not with 4" pipe, thats WAYYYYY too much flow. 3" is close to overdoing it

·
Registered
195 Posts
why would 3 inch be over doing it? not sure what truck he has, but my truck had dual 3 inch from the factory so it would not make any sense merging 2 three inch into one three inch.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83919 thats how i did mine. maybe it will give you some idea of how mine went together. there is also two vids on there to give you an idea of how it sounds. mine has cats though. so if you run catless you will run much louder

·
Registered
195 Posts
just read his sig, guess hes got an obs. in that case, 3 inch will probably be fine. but 3 inch straight pipe will be raspy as shit, id run a muffler of some sort

·
I'm on a mission
794 Posts
just run straight headers and burn those valves up:guns: :head:

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i ran opens to school today, as long as its warm theres no real issue i dont think.

hey on the OBS long tubes, oes the drivers side have a curve in ever manufacturer? if so how the hell do you straight pipe it w/o buying that stupe y pipe for all that money most offer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i think by straight pipe they mean open exhaust not a physical straight piece of pipe.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my deff of straight pipe is basically no connection between left and right banks, 2 4cyls in a line insteada a nice v8.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Straight pipes means your exhaust consists solely of pipe, not mufflers or cats or resonators or anything like that. Straight duals does sound good on the OBS trucks but it gets annoying. For a stock engine you'd be fine with dual 2.25" exhaust, or a single 3". The larger the pipe the deeper and less raspy it is.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for clearin that up. ive already got single 3 to 2.25 dual, but wantin soemthing new with LT headers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts