GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right. Well, I have been thinking about this for a while. Got some questions though. I currently am running a Magnaflow Muffler and have it dumped about 6-8 inches out the back of the muffler. I think that I want to go with a different muffler, something louder, but not obnoxious, but still maintain good power. I have heard a lot of folks claim that Flowmasters are not good for power. Is this true. I am thinking of maybe Gibson, Borla, Bassani, or something like that. I would actually like a corsa muffler, but do not wish to buy the entire exhaust, as I can install and run the tubing from here at my place of work.

Any Suggestions on how any of these sound compared to the magnaflow and flowmaster 40 series? And which provides the greatest power gains?

Also, was just wondering. I have my muffler right now about midway between the truck, ie: right under the backseat. Would there be any performance advantages to changing the length that the exhaust runs? Would there be any sort of gains by either pushing the muffler farther to the back of the truck or shortening the run to the muffler? Just curious is all.

·
Registered
397 Posts
:rocking:
SierraCrew said:
All right. Well, I have been thinking about this for a while. Got some questions though. I currently am running a Magnaflow Muffler and have it dumped about 6-8 inches out the back of the muffler. I think that I want to go with a different muffler, something louder, but not obnoxious, but still maintain good power. I have heard a lot of folks claim that Flowmasters are not good for power. Is this true. I am thinking of maybe Gibson, Borla, Bassani, or something like that. I would actually like a corsa muffler, but do not wish to buy the entire exhaust, as I can install and run the tubing from here at my place of work.

Any Suggestions on how any of these sound compared to the magnaflow and flowmaster 40 series? And which provides the greatest power gains?

Also, was just wondering. I have my muffler right now about midway between the truck, ie: right under the backseat. Would there be any performance advantages to changing the length that the exhaust runs? Would there be any sort of gains by either pushing the muffler farther to the back of the truck or shortening the run to the muffler? Just curious is all.
Personally, I am sure I gained power with my single 3.5" Flowmaster Delta FORCE dumped before the rear axle on my 4.8

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9508

That thread has pics and a description.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I unbolted my 40 series for a few days...my truck was quicker, not a lot but it was apparent it was.

I'd perhaps consider a Dynomax Race Muffler...

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
revolution said:
yea.. dynomax, or something else in a straight thru design.
the magnaflow he has not is a straight thru design just like the dynomax.

for power flowmasters arent the best, but they gotta be better than stock. if you like the distinct sound they make, go for it

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I dunno if a Flow is that much better than stock, I recall on F-bods that a Flowmaster upgrade over stock is good for only like 4-5rwhp... pretty sad.

The sound they make is very nice tho'!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts