GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with Bowtie Overdrives for transmissions? I believe they are out of California. I am building a high torque/horsepower truck, and they are the only ones that offer a 700r4 4x4 built for what I need. Anyone have any other companies with good reputations I could possibly look into? Thanks.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
I have this guy I used. Great guy and will answer any and all your questions. He built me a level 5 4L65E for a damn good price. He used to build trannys for FLT. Heres what he stuffed in mine:

machined performance pump.
Prep case for assembly.
sleeved input drum
(billet 6061 aluminum) overrun piston
beast shell kit w/bearing kit
8 hi-energy 3-4 clutches
double caged 29 element sprag
4L65 low roller clutch
Transgo HD-2 shift kit
Corvette servo
Alto wide 2-4 red lined band with reinforced anchor
New solenoids
New Internal wire harness
New GM Spacer plate
B/W clutches
Seal & gasket kit
Filter
Updated aluminum accumulator pistons
prepped valvebody with HD 2-3 shift valve modification
Set end play to performance specs
Case cooler fittings
viton servo d-rings
sonnax boost valve
High rpm pump slide spring
New reverse input drum
Bushing kit....with special bushings listed below.
wide rear sun gear bushing
wide front stator bushing
Teflon rear stator bushing
Babbit pump bushing
new case bushing
Teflon extension housing bushing for 2wd models
All other bushings are inspected and replaced if not in tolerances.

THE ADDED PARTS FOR THE LEVEL 5
Delco 5 pinion planets with bearing style reaction shaft
Sonnax 4th servo
wide Alto carbon lined 2-4 band

Hit him at [email protected] His name is Vince B. Tell him Country Boy sent ya overe so he knows how you got his email addy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a Bowtie 700R4 in my K5...I have had their Level 2 kit on it for about 10 years now, no issues at all. Great service, great technical help if you want it. My K5 has 42s on it, is mostly used for rockcrawling, but not too many years ago, it saw more street with the 38s...I have now swapped all of my drivetrain from the 87 into my 73, and I had Bowtie go through the 700R4 while it was all apart...they upgraded me to the Level 3, since I am now running a built 383...I am sure the tranny will be just as stout when I get it all back together.

So, for what it's worth, I've had great experience with them, as have a couple other local K5 owners I know who have used them. They did undergo some new ownership changes, but the service seems to be as good or better as it was.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts