GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just bought a 04 Subirban 4x4, 6.0 L 2500 with 85000 miles. It is in great shape but I can buy an extended warranty for about $ 2000 to cover another 25000 miles or 2 years. This is a second vehicle so I wont use up all the miles in two years I expect - I know that if it has to get anything like tranny work etc. the $ 2000 doesn't go far at the shop. Anyone got an opinion on this. Warranty is through GM.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
8 cents a mile sounds pretty high. What kind of condition is the truck in now? I would think most repairs that could come up short of an engine would be less than $2,000. Even if the engine did go you could easily pick up a 4.8 or 5.3 that was swapped out for a 6.0. Parts on these trucks are plentiful and cheap. If you can do the work yourself, you are even better off. Since it is your second vehicle you might be better off to avoid the warranty and take a gamble as the truck will *probably* be fine. :imo

If you do choose to get the warranty, please read all of the fine print before signing.

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
i just went through the same thing. mine isnt a GM warranty though. i bought the truck in december and i paid 1k for it. it has already paid for itself :read:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know - this is what i am tempted to do as I did decline taking the extra warranty but have a fews days if I want to still add it. I will be towing a boat around once in a white with it and the boat weights 6500 lbs so not a big deal but I sure hate to have the tranny act up. I guess I am most worried if I have transmission, transfere case or other drive train issues. I know the extended warraties can be a bunch of crap to and there probably is a deductable etc. Once I have a transmission go due to a cooling system failure and they would not cover it due to the cooling system being a "non- drive train component". I dont think I will have any engine issues - just the other stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts