GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be getting a Fabtech 6" can I make it into a 7" kit by buying the upper contol arms, or what else do I need to make the upgrade?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
nope. the fabtech 6 inch kit has the same upper arms as the 7. the difference is a 4 inch lift spindle versus the 3 inch one.

my advice: im guessing this 6 incher is a used kit, based on your wording. if so, dont get a used fabtech lift. they arent that great, unless you are getting a killer deal....the CST 7 inch is obviously a huge step up in quality, and its not THAT much more than a fabtech

·
Registered
330 Posts
The 6" Fabtech uses 3" spindle + 3" coils; it comes with upper control arms and works on single cab and extended cab trucks.

The 7" Fabtech uses longer coils, a different spindle and a lower subframe. This kit is supposed to keep the stock upper control arms, and it only works with extended cab trucks (I don't know why).
The parts aren't interchangeable between this kits.

If you want to add 1" to a 6" Fabtech you need to buy a set of 4" spindles either from CST or FFS. Another option is to add a 1" coil spacer but the ride is going to be affected.

You should avoid the Fabtech shocks, the truck'll ride like s***. Just order a set of Bilsteins 5100 and the ride will be great (that's what i'm running with this kit). If you need the shock's part #'s just ask.

Good luck

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jiar577 said:
The 6" Fabtech uses 3" spindle + 3" coils; it comes with upper control arms and works on single cab and extended cab trucks.

The 7" Fabtech uses longer coils, a different spindle and a lower subframe. This kit is supposed to keep the stock upper control arms, and it only works with extended cab trucks (I don't know why).
The parts aren't interchangeable between this kits.

If you want to add 1" to a 6" Fabtech you need to buy a set of 4" spindles either from CST or FFS. Another option is to add a 1" coil spacer but the ride is going to be affected.

You should avoid the Fabtech shocks, the truck'll ride like s***. Just order a set of Bilsteins 5100 and the ride will be great (that's what i'm running with this kit). If you need the shock's part #'s just ask.

Good luck
Thanks, you've been a big help! :shake:

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Jeff said:
nope. the fabtech 6 inch kit has the same upper arms as the 7. the difference is a 4 inch lift spindle versus the 3 inch one.

my advice: im guessing this 6 incher is a used kit, based on your wording. if so, dont get a used fabtech lift. they arent that great, unless you are getting a killer deal....the CST 7 inch is obviously a huge step up in quality, and its not THAT much more than a fabtech
I have installed a 7 inch Fabtech Kit on my 1995, and it rocks!!!! I wouldn't say they "aren't that great". That is my opinion though, not tryin' to pick a fight. If you are in a NBS, definately get the 7" subframe kit. It looks cooler and should perform a little better. I would not try modifying the 6" to get a 7". Someone mentioned that the Fabtech shocks sucked. I thought the same thing till I discovered they were 3 way adjustable. I guess it helps to read some of the directions. :doh: Set the shocks to the softest setting and you are ready to rock. The truck will ride a little firm but it wont be a log wagon like mine was before I adjusted them. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts