GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, will post on suspension too..

i have an 03 Z71 ext Cab. 54k miles. rear has a 3" block. came with a 2" block from factory, i replaced it with a 3" to lift it 1" 4 years ago. Front, i cranked the torsion bar.

Problem:
recently i noticed the back sorta is lower on the right side. U can see the axle is slightly in an angle. Theres at least 1" gap more on the left side. from fender to tire.

i rarely drive this truck, only put 2500 miles since dec 08. etc etc.
it sits in the backyard where the pavement is uneven, but just very slightly.

would this cause the leaf springs to permanently be bent??
has this ever happened before to yall?
should i swap the left to the right, that doable?

also, when i use the truck, i haul 2 shifter karts, one on top of the other via a rack. without the driver, the right side is heavy because of the motors. this another factor??
please help, i have far race im going to and i need to fix it soon.
Thank you in advance, jason

·
03 Silverado in progress
692 Posts
sweet i'm gonna try that

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
when my leaves were out of the truck upside down on the ground, the driver side spring was 1/2-3/4" shorter than the passenger side.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Might not be your problem, but check the center pin on the leaf. The stock one busted on mine and was causing the axle to shift forward.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys...
so i swapped the leaf springs last night, took me bout 5 hours by myself, my whole body is sore now, lol.
out of the truck, the leafs looks same, it didnt look like one has lost its sprung over the other. had to cut some bolts to get it out since it was too long and behind it was the gas tank. was a real pain. also swapped the shocks

the bad news is, its still slightly low on the right rear. its a little better than before but still there. i cranked the right side torsion bars for the front. this maybe helped too.
but swapping the leafs i think was a complete wate of time.
the leafs r all in tact, pin etc.
i really dont get it.
i dont tow, i hardly drive it and when i do, i drive hundreds of miles to the race tracks and have a full load but not maxed out of anything.
any help is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
My pass. side sits higher. We could morph our trucks and make one level truck, but then we would only have one truck.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
thanks guys...
so i swapped the leaf springs last night, took me bout 5 hours by myself, my whole body is sore now, lol.
out of the truck, the leafs looks same, it didnt look like one has lost its sprung over the other. had to cut some bolts to get it out since it was too long and behind it was the gas tank. was a real pain. also swapped the shocks

the bad news is, its still slightly low on the right rear. its a little better than before but still there. i cranked the right side torsion bars for the front. this maybe helped too.
but swapping the leafs i think was a complete wate of time.
the leafs r all in tact, pin etc.
i really dont get it.
i dont tow, i hardly drive it and when i do, i drive hundreds of miles to the race tracks and have a full load but not maxed out of anything.
any help is appreciated. thanks
I wish I would have seen the guys reply that said to swap leafs. :nono: The leafs are the exact same it doesn't matter that side they're on. Could have saved you a little time. Like I said, get a drop shackle for one side and set it to 1".

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
The only hard part about swaping leaves is the G*D DAMN M&^)* F*&*(&kin backwards ass bolt behind the gas tank! If the bolt was swapped from the factory, it would be easy. When I reinstalled my leaves, I swapped it around.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
The only hard part about swaping leaves is the G*D DAMN M&^)* F*&*(&kin backwards ass bolt behind the gas tank! If the bolt was swapped from the factory, it would be easy. When I reinstalled my leaves, I swapped it around.
Yes, or make a tiny cutout in the fuel tank, enough to slide the bolt out. That was what sucked about my flip kit, dropping the tank. It's not that hard, just a pain.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
LOL @ cutting the tank. I wanted to too. I didnt know that bolt was backwards (since its the only one) and I had almost a full tank.

·
GM bit-size owner
1,654 Posts
You could just put the factory 2" block back in on the side thats higher, should sit level after that. The shackle idea would work too, I would do the block first seeing it's less work.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
You could just put the factory 2" block back in on the side thats higher, should sit level after that. The shackle idea would work too, I would do the block first seeing it's less work.
Do NOT put only one block in. It would be at an angle, and would not sit right with the pins.

·
Popcorn Sutton's BFF
1,083 Posts
I wish I would have seen the guys reply that said to swap leafs. :nono: The leafs are the exact same it doesn't matter that side they're on. Could have saved you a little time. Like I said, get a drop shackle for one side and set it to 1".
Not to mention by his logic he would have just made the opposite side sit lower.
Mine sits perfectly level now so it worked for me. Definetly was worth my time.:tongue:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts