GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I failed the state inspection today. The parking brake wouldnt hold the truck. one guy at the place said that the cable needs to be tightened, then another guy chimed in and said that 90% of gm trucks suburbans and tahoes(yukons etc) all fail due to that. He then said The parking brake pads in the rear disentigrate and you have to buy new ones from gm as they are the only ones who make them. I had never heard of this and if that was true wouldnt they have to issue a recall? Any body know? Suggestions?

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
my dad had the samething on his 2000 silverado before he traded it in. he was pretty mad but he made the dealer replace it under warranty.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Ok heres what happens.

The parking brake is essentially a drum inside the rotor, like a brake shoe. A small POS clip holds it on and breaks easy. The brake show then moves around an wears out, also wearing out the inside of your rotors.

The fix: replace the shoes, the rotors and they make a better clip to attach the shoe.
Total cost: to damn much, i left mine and found a crooked inspection place. Doesnt hurt yoru normal brakes.

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
I've hear stories of this. Something about the parking brake has it's own set of pads which are poorly attached causing them to wear out very quickly. I remember one guy said he accidentally left his parking break on when he tried to back up (only like 10 feet) and then it didn't work after that.
Apparently GM didn't design the parking brakes to be "Like a rock".

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Yeah its a shitty design. I pulled my shoes totally out so they wouldnt wear the inside of the rotors even more. Once your rotor is worn you have to replace it or a new shoe wont work. Typically by the time it stops working, your rotors are already worn out on the inside.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great i need to find a better inspection place now cause i dont want to pay to replace it hehe.
ARRRGGGHHH, too bad i already paid the 40 bucks.

·
I'm back!
794 Posts
Damn, what i usually do is goto a place full of hispanic gentlemen and give one 20 bills and say I need a sticker, and they hook me up without driving it or checking shit at all. :bowtie:

·
5.5MPG!!!!!!!All Day Long
123 Posts
u can buy those e-brake shoes from other than the dealer. raybestos for 1 makes them.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
i had to replace my e-brake pads last summer. i kept hearing a grinding noise coming from the back wheels, and could never figure out what it was. so one sat. we pulled the rear driv. side wheel and checked the e-brake pad and it was almost completely worn down with a nice grove worn inside my rotor. i ordered a new pad from gmpartsdirect, changed it out and adjusted the cable and have had no trouble since.

im glad the inspections around here arent like those in other places with them checking emissions and e-brakes. here basically if all of your lights, horn and windshield wipers work, you pass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts