GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, do my dismal suprise I found some rust in my rockers and pass. rear quarter on my 99 Sierra (some jackass doesn't know how to wash KS salt off after it snows I guess) I can fix the rockers with little trouble, but the fender bothers me.

I really liked the look of the truck with no flares, but I really can't afford to have the whole pass. rear quarter repainted right now. If I just put flares back on, I can grind that rust out, etch and seal it, and repaint it, just leaving a tape line under the flare.

Are the flares from the 99-02 trucks different in any way than the 03-06 trucks? The lines left in my paint from the stock flares really look smaller than what came on my brother's '06 silverado... I am refering to GM OEM parts here, no aftermarket flares!

Also, what do you think? Save up to have the whole quarter repainted so I can run no flares, or go with gloss black OEM flares ?

DSC04256.jpg

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'll tell you, you're better off fixing the rust and leaving the flares off...I took the flares off mine last year and there was sand, dirt, all sorts of crap under them. They will only trap all that crap and cause it to rust again. My paint was scratched from the flares, too, so I had to have some paint work done, but it was cheaper than rust repair down the line. Besides w/ no flares, you know the condition of the truck, w/ them, it's a guess what's going on underneath them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was something else I thought about also. Removal of fender trim is usually the FIRST thing I do to solve this problem. In the event of running the flares, I'd probably end up sealing the seams with something, or pulling them off every couple of weeks or every other wash job to clean it all out underneath.

If anyone has pictures of the black flares on a black truck, feel free to post them.

·
cracker ass fantastic
616 Posts
im almost 100% positive they dont have the gloss black flares from the factory, you could get a set painted

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were the flares the same from the 99-02 to the 03-06 trucks though? I have a set of non-painted flares from an '06 crewcab 2500 that have like 50 miles on them tops.

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
get rid of the rust first of all:read: then get some painted flares:thumbsup:

what are they off of? the rear flares should be the same. i dont know if the front changed though since 99-02 & 03+ fenders are different.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't worry Coop, I wouldn't just cover the rust... The only reason I'm considering the flares is so that I can get away without having to paint the whole quarter panel.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
gm fender flare part numbers ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts