GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got my new Nelson 93 octane tune in through the mail a few minutes ago. I am at work so can't install it yet. Anyways, it didn't come with any instructions but I have printed up the stuff off of Allens website. For those of you who have installed his computer, is there anything else that I really need to watch out for or be aware of? Has anybody had problems doing the anti-theft pass-key re-learn or had to do the Crankshaft re-learn or idle re-learn. My truck is a 2004 and it is pretty new, but only has minor mods and I am trying to decide if this would be a better install to wait to do on the weekend or if it should just be a quick install and I can do it tonight. Any help, suggestions, or ideas, please respond.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have only had to do the anti-theft pass-key re-learn and it was not a problem at all and it only takes about 40 minutes or so including switching out the PCM. Allen's instructions are pretty cut and dry which makes it easy. I didn't have to do the Crankshaft re-learn or idle re-learn though so I couldn't help you out with that one. I would do it as soon as you can because seeing that PCM sitting around is going to kill you!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've only had the nelsons unit sitting here beside me for about an hour and its already killing me. I've been looking on this site and ls1truck.com and reading and I haven't heard on anyone having to do any re-learns but the pass-key, but I was just kinda checking around. Want to know what I am getting into before hand.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I also had to go through the relearn process it kinda sucked cuz my friend's truck started up first try when he first installed his. One thing to add, when you first test drive your truck after the install, don't be discouraged that you don't notice it to be much faster even though you might. I didn't notice much but now that i got about 300 miles on it, the difference is definatly there.
My worst experience of the whole install was when i layed my wrench accross the top posts on my optima yellow top and got a nice shock. it also melted my wrench :shocked:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bet that was a shocking experience.

Hey, your gonna be mad at me too. I installed the unit last night when I got home. I had to un-install my handheld programmer first. But after that from dis-connecting the negative cable of the battery to hooking everything back up, install took me about 15-20 minutes. It was seriously easier than my cold air intake. I got everything put back together and boom cranked right up. No re-learn program or anything. I could tell the moment I started it and gave it 2 quick rev's that this wasn't the same truck. Rev's up and idles down so much quicker now than it ever did before. I am very pleased with the tune and suggest Nelson to anyone.

I just can't wait til I get my correct tune in. I talked with Allen and my truck is so new that the new tune is not out for it yet, which means that this unit in my truck right now just doesn't have my vin# in it. I have to send him my original unit, and he will tune that one. I think I might have him go a tad more aggressive with the tune and remove the remaining 20% of the torque management.

·
Registered
254 Posts
:thumbsup: Hi, thanks for the update, i'm glad you're enjoying the tune.

I'll get your original one out monday, which will be a tad more aggresssive!

allen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts