1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked the manager at harbor freight into 50% off :rocking:

20 ton shop press

12 ton almost 3 foot tall jack stands

also got a bearing seperator for the press and am in the market for a magnetic base dial indicator.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im in the middle of 2 actually, should finish them up tomarow.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
case spreader? Did I miss something?
Err, when putting gears in an axle that uses shims to set carrier bearing preload you have to have a way of spreading the case to get the carrier into and out of the housing... You basically put the carrier in and measure the gap between it and the housing, say thats .010". And your spec is say .005" of preload. You put on .015" of shims and you have to now fit something that is .005" wider than the case into the case. Thus a case spreader... You can hammer it in and pry it out but it's not the best way of doing things... If you do end up doing it that way, gently put it in with a rubber or plastic mallet. To get it out put a box end wrench on one of the ring gear bolts so that when the carrier turns the wrench wedges against the housing, then turn the pinion yoke and it will push the carrier out.

Oh and post up pics of your patterns, I want to see how good you are :crazy:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats about how i got it out, was just going to tap it in with a mallet like you said. What do you use for a carrier spreader?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
thats about how i got it out, was just going to tap it in with a mallet like you said. What do you use for a carrier spreader?
I built my own:

Yes very crude and took all of 3 minutes to make but it got the job done :crazy:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha nice i need one of them. You should sell em on ebay! Ill buy one!

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question - Ive seen them before so I know they exsist. Where can I get accesories for the press, like things that go over the i dont even know what you call it but it is what presses down. Things like different size fittings for bearings and crap like that, maybe something to act like a mini break for bending thing steel plate. That kinda cool crap.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I make my own adapters for everything... Just use pieces of tubing or some of my 3/4" drive sockets. The sockets are what I use the most, I bought the HF 3/4 drive set with the breaker bars and ratchet and it cost like $50, paid for itself just in using the sockets on the press...

The coolest thing I've bought for the press is the brake. It bends up to 3/8" thick plate 4" wide or thinner up to 20" wide. It's awesome, bought it from Northern Tool HERE. It's a little pricey but it will make making all your brackets way easier, no more cutting and welding, just bend it :head:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
now thats freaking cool... I might just have to buy that. Question, is it limited to 90 degrees pretty much?

Also have you replaced the handle for the press, that little cheesy 2 piece thing is already driving me crazy, I need to go find some pipe or tubing to replace it with!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
now thats freaking cool... I might just have to buy that. Question, is it limited to 90 degrees pretty much?

Also have you replaced the handle for the press, that little cheesy 2 piece thing is already driving me crazy, I need to go find some pipe or tubing to replace it with!
I just welded the handle together and it works fine. The brake bends to about 100* if you really pull on it, basically 0-100* is your limit.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did you get the back gauge attachment? Think its worth it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
That is kewl DE. I didn't even think about negotiating with Harbor's Manager. The stuff I can buy now.

Thanks for the tip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts