GMC Truck Forum banner

Few quick Q's...

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  glassman 
#1 ·
Hey all... I have an '01 Z71 (as seen in my sig ;) ) and have a few quick questions.

I'm running a set of JL XR653s up front in kickpanels. They are a 3 way set with 6.5" midbass, 4" midrange, and 1" tweet. Just recently I f'ed up my rear Kappa 4x6 comp plates.

So what I'm thinking is this...

1. Purchase a set of 5.25" comps (JL XR to voice match)
2. Take my 4" midrange in my kick and put it in the rear door and manufacture a plate for the 4" driver and 1" tweet from the 5.25" setup...like how the existing rear plates are.
3. Take the 5.25" woofers and put them in my kicks for more surface area.

Now, would this adversely effect my 3 ways up front due to the larger midrange driver?

Other ideas/input/etc... ?

#2 ·
i dunno how it well that would work due to the crossover settings on the three ways, the crossover has set values designed for the four inch, you throw in a 5 1/4, and it'll most likely play the same bandwidth as the previous 4 inch that was there. it may gain a bit, but how much is debateable. you'd have to change the crossover values somehow, it kinda gets to be a mess. you could contact jl also, they're pretty good about answering questions

#4 ·
glassman - I recall the midrange taking over ~300hz. Aside from not really gaining anything (just more midrange surface area)... I wouldn't lose anything would I?

Wildstyle - I HAVE the XR653s now...I jacked up one of my rear plates so I may upgrade my 3 ways that I have currently. They are running off a lil 300/4 amp (75x4 rms) and are way under powered. I scored them for a mere $325 about two years ago. :read:

The SQ on them is pretty nice considering the price. I do not like how Boston Pros sounded but I did like the Diamond Hex.

#5 ·
Cool. you have an EXT. cab right??? how are you going to mount the JLs? are you going to put the the 6.5" in the door w/ the tweeter? or the tweeter and the 4" in the kick pannels?

im asking b/c i asked a while back i asked how the system would sound and someone told me that i couldnt put the 4" in the back (i have a reg cab 2000 silverado) of the pillar and have the tweeter and the 6.5" in the door b/c it would sound jaked up.

what do you think? should i get the kick pannels and mount the 4" their or in the back.

#6 ·
I have them mounted in a Q-forms kickpanel. The 4" mid and 1" tweet are there and I have my 6.5" midbass in the door in stock location.

You do not want to mount those speakers that far apart, they are codependant for sound and need to be close together.

Basically I'm going to swap the 4" woofer from that 3 way to a 5.25" woofer.

#8 ·
*WILDSTYLE 5.3* said:
Cool i guess i will get the kick pannels then. do you think they will get in the way w/ my big feet?

Well I wear a 14 in sneakers... so yeah they get in the way. You'll notice right off the lack of space, but the sound staging difference is nice.

I do now have a badass Alpine 7998 I've had for about 9 months and I could have corrected the phasing of the speakers with that. That means I would not buy them again...lots of space is taken away.

#10 ·
Hit Man X said:
glassman - I recall the midrange taking over ~300hz. Aside from not really gaining anything (just more midrange surface area)... I wouldn't lose anything would I?

Wildstyle - I HAVE the XR653s now...I jacked up one of my rear plates so I may upgrade my 3 ways that I have currently. They are running off a lil 300/4 amp (75x4 rms) and are way under powered. I scored them for a mere $325 about two years ago. :read:

The SQ on them is pretty nice considering the price. I do not like how Boston Pros sounded but I did like the Diamond Hex.
i wouldn't think you'd lose anything, but whether it's worth the trouble is what i'm asking. price of new speaker, modding your kicks, (etc). I'll probably go with the same 6,4 tweet also, but i'm gonna try to get the four to fit behind the factory grill. I did it with a set of focals on an 03 chev, so i know it's possible, but whether i can get the jl to fit is another problem. I think it's a tad bigger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.