GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like the title says I'll be clearing the headlights on my 04 this Saturday. Do any of you that have done it have any tips or advice that might help?

Thanks in advance!

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Use Tha Search my Friend. A few people have cleared the 03+ lights, just have to look around a little. I think that they used the oven to heat them up.

Chris

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Silverado said:
Thanks man, would you recomend using the oven or not?
Some say not to use it but it sure helped us out a lot! Harley did get one of them open without using the oven so it can be done.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll just use the oven as a last resort, if all else fails. I'm just gonna take my time and be very patient.

Hmmm....I just thought of something its been over 100 degrees outside lately do you think i could just let them sit in the sun for awhile to loosen them up?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Silverado said:
I think I'll just use the oven as a last resort, if all else fails. I'm just gonna take my time and be very patient.

Hmmm....I just thought of something its been over 100 degrees outside lately do you think i could just let them sit in the sun for awhile to loosen them up?
I don't see why not. It'll help IMO

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This kinda sucks, I went out to my garage to make sure i knew how to take out the lights and i pulled my passengers side headlight off. The inside clip that is closest to the grille was already half broken off. :crazy:

I also have one more ?, what should i do with all my bulbs while the lamps are out?

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I would say just set them on a terry cloth and DONT touch the glass of the bulb

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
my suggestion: dont be scared... just give it hell... my headlights looked pretty mangled on the edges when i was done... but i just lined up the edges as well as i could... just use a lot of silicon, you dont want to miss a spot and re-do it like me... where are you at in CA? maybe i can come by and help you or soemthing...

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brock said:
my suggestion: dont be scared... just give it hell... my headlights looked pretty mangled on the edges when i was done... but i just lined up the edges as well as i could... just use a lot of silicon, you dont want to miss a spot and re-do it like me... where are you at in CA? maybe i can come by and help you or soemthing...
Thanks allot bro, I appreciate the offer to come help. I live in Hemet its like 20
Miles past Murrieta, I don't know where your at but its probably too far to drive out to help me clear headlights. I think I’ll be fine though, I have allot a patience when it comes to these things. If I have any problems I’ll be back on the site asking questions.

I’ll be crackin’ them open in about an hour, wish me luck. :rocking:

·
Chaoss
215 Posts
Just really take your time. I didn't use an oven myself. I just took the lights out, put a ver thin flat head and started to open it up carefully.

Also, when you take the yellow piece off, be sure you don't touch the inside of the headlight.
If you do you will get fingerprints on it. I then tried to clean it with windez and a cloth but then tiny white dust from the cloth was getting on it.

And yea, use enough silicon

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Chaoss said:
Just really take your time. I didn't use an oven myself. I just took the lights out, put a ver thin flat head and started to open it up carefully.

Also, when you take the yellow piece off, be sure you don't touch the inside of the headlight.
If you do you will get fingerprints on it. I then tried to clean it with windez and a cloth but then tiny white dust from the cloth was getting on it.

And yea, use enough silicon
Werd a good flathead will help or you can use a butterknife. It's better to take 2 butterknives/flatheads and stick one in and pry and leave it in and then take the other one and pry right bedside it and just keep going around until it pops open. Also take a razorblade and cut as much silicon out first to make it a little easier.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been goin at it for a little while with no luck. I am having a problem getting to the silicone thats like on the flat edge, inside the lip of the black housing. I am worried that if i pry up on the edge it will break, or bend or something.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

Got the parking lamps done, i just used a flathead and worked the shit of of them until they came apart. They look great too. :rocking:

Now all thats left is to do the headlamps, clean the remaining silicone off, and silicone it all back up.

I'll keep updating, if anyone cares. :crazy:

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: 07/27/04 3:30AM

Well I finally got one of the headlights open. Now I'm tired so I'm going to bed I'll do the other one and re-silicone everything up tomorrow, Hopefully. :head:

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got the other headlight apart, but the edges on the black housing aren't looking so hot anymore. I hope I can just maybe try and bend them back as good as possible and hopefully everything will seal up good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts