GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be starting my cam swap on friday with the help of Lifted03Silverado.

I have my cam,springs, and pushrods and some extra locks should be here tomorrow I believe. Can I re-use my stock crank bolt? I've seen that it's highly recommended that you get a longer one, but also heard of people using their stock ones. Can I use my stock one?

BTW I may do a small write up with it. I will definitely be taking pictures and will make sure to get video of the startup

·
it's not fast enough
1,677 Posts
do a write up like said...so i can do mine later on.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do a write up like said...so i can do mine later on.
well there already is a write up on ls1howto.com but not really one for the trucks, I might do one but I will def take a shit load of pictures and get some idle videos w/the cutout open :evil:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
buy a new crank bolt and a longer bolt to get the pulley/balancer started back on w/o stripping the first few threads in the crank. I still need to find out what size/thread pitch the bolt is so i can get a longer one, but ive got the replacement here. Springs are easy and don't take a buncha time, i did mine in 90 mins, motor out of truck and that being the first time ive ever done it...that was also using rope to hold up the valves and no compressed air.

the bolt is a 6$ piece at the dealer...why not get a new one?

Get those 5/16 dowels.....and a longer crank bolt, and a new stock crank bolt....Some rad fluid....
ah yeah, the dowels. they are CHEAP insurance. i got some for like 80 cents for the pair at lowes.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a full jug of brand new dex cool coolant, going to pick up the dowels tomorrow. Do you think the dealership will have the crank bolts in stock? or is this something I can pick up at a hardware store?

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
I have a full jug of brand new dex cool coolant, going to pick up the dowels tomorrow. Do you think the dealership will have the crank bolts in stock? or is this something I can pick up at a hardware store?
Dont use me for too much of a brain, Im just an extra set of hands. :smokin:

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
my dealership had them in stock. i ordered from GMPD tho, along with the thermo gaskets (WAY cheaper than parts stores) and the timing cover set. i called my dealer to confirm part numbers and check prices, they beat my work on all of it. Then GMPD beat it all...got it to my door for cheaper than if i bought it through them and didn't have to go deal with the dumbasses at mine.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my dealership had them in stock. i ordered from GMPD tho, along with the thermo gaskets (WAY cheaper than parts stores) and the timing cover set. i called my dealer to confirm part numbers and check prices, they beat my work on all of it. Then GMPD beat it all...got it to my door for cheaper than if i bought it through them and didn't have to go deal with the dumbasses at mine.
do you think GMPD will have them here by Friday?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Scoggin Dickey sells a cam swap kit - has water pump gaskets, valve cover gaskets, timing cover gasket, new crank bolt, new crank seal...I think it's only $45 or $50.

You definitely want a new crank bolt. They are torque-to-yield, so your original one will be stretched and will not torque down right. Also - definitely get a longer bolt to get yourself started. Actually what you should consider doing is getting an ARP crank bolt. They are reusable and have a spacer you can take out that essentially makes the bolt longer. I stripped the threads out of my crank snout because I was trying to take shortcuts. Don't make the same mistake.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
we just reused every thing except for the dexcool we didnt have to do any thing but install the cam if you are really carefull you can take them off but my truck only has like 6000mil on it.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
reused crank bolt and everything?
Me too, and the gaskets and all that good stuff. I have a 1999 with 103k on the clock and no problems at all.

As far as springs. Springs aren't quick RedNeckDude. They take a hell of alot more time when the engine is in the truck. Once you figure out the quickest method, they don't take much time, but the cam swap is much easier and quicker as long as you know what you're doing.

Here's what I would recomend:
New Oil Pump-mine failed and we had to tear everything apart 3 times before we found the problem.

Longer crank bolt-saved us an hour of heating up the pulley and jamming it on there.

Just put some loctite on the crank bolt and as long as you aren't running a blower, you'll be perfectly fine.

Make sure you have something to drain the coolant well so your garage doesn't smell like prostitute pussy for 2 weeks.

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
Scoggin Dickey sells a cam swap kit - has water pump gaskets, valve cover gaskets, timing cover gasket, new crank bolt, new crank seal...I think it's only $45 or $50.

You definitely want a new crank bolt. They are torque-to-yield, so your original one will be stretched and will not torque down right. Also - definitely get a longer bolt to get yourself started. Actually what you should consider doing is getting an ARP crank bolt. They are reusable and have a spacer you can take out that essentially makes the bolt longer. I stripped the threads out of my crank snout because I was trying to take shortcuts. Don't make the same mistake.

link to the arp bolt and scoggin kit please? i looked and cant not find them.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Me too, and the gaskets and all that good stuff. I have a 1999 with 103k on the clock and no problems at all.

As far as springs. Springs aren't quick RedNeckDude. They take a hell of alot more time when the engine is in the truck. Once you figure out the quickest method, they don't take much time, but the cam swap is much easier and quicker as long as you know what you're doing.

Here's what I would recomend:
New Oil Pump-mine failed and we had to tear everything apart 3 times before we found the problem.

Longer crank bolt-saved us an hour of heating up the pulley and jamming it on there.

Just put some loctite on the crank bolt and as long as you aren't running a blower, you'll be perfectly fine.

Make sure you have something to drain the coolant well so your garage doesn't smell like prostitute pussy for 2 weeks.
no garage, I only have the front yard haha.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts