GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always just done exterior mods and Stereo stuff and been pleased but my new truck (long story) has almost reached my happy point with the above. So I'm turning to the motor. The truck is a 6.2 4x4 sierra ccsb 3:73 gears. 4 wheel disc. The truck is lifted on 35s on x12s so I don't plan to blow the doors off just wanna have some power for the hell of it. I plan on doing the obvious but would still like some input

CAI- afe stage 2 dry flow
Tbs-AFE (I get this shit cheap through work)
tune-local place speedtek
Gears?! I wanna go fast but I do drive on the hwy every day
Brakes-D/S rotors and performance pads from power stop or EBC(cheap through work)
Cam-i know nothing. I have no clue at all. Springs? Rods? Again I drive the truck pretty normal just wanna fuck shit up every now and then when a Honda passes me
Exhaust-magnaflow (cheap through work)
Headers-no clue. School me
Spark plugs-?
Stall-?
Other trans shit-?

Please let me know anything else you guys think would fit my build. Truck has 38,000 miles and I plan on keeping till around 85-100k. I'm not Rich and I am married so all this will be little by little so please keep that in mind.
This is my ultimate goal and my motivation obviously I know it's got a turbo but I love the sound and the look of this big bastard blowing the tires off
http://youtu.be/gx9fmtd5mK4

·
Custom User Title
19 Posts
I don't know much but everyone says 4.11's are good for 33's and 4.88's are good for 35's but i would worry about hwy RPM's with that steep of a gear. I think better acceleration would come from a different stall. I'm still learning about them but just figured i'd mention that, also. You usually plan your stall to go with your cam. You should sit down with your local trusted shop and let them decide for you based on what you want from your truck (towing vs racing).
As far as headers, Pacesetters are affordable but some people don't care for the fitment. Kook's and American Racing Headers are supposedly the best fitting but are pricey. A local shop told me they all get about the same performance gains. The different prices comes from the materials used and the R&D to get them to fit properly.
That's about all I know! Go check out those headers and see what I mean about PRICEY

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your feedback that's exactly what I'm looking for. My dad owns a hot rod shop so I can get just about anything at dealer cost and I work at 4wheelparts so I get my employee cost and my mechanics will help me out with the install of gears and all that. We usually put 4:56 or 4:88 for our customers with 35s but that's my issue of do I tackle the drivability of this thing vs the go fast fun factor. Kinda leaning towards 4:56s but again I'm new to the performance stuff so feed me your knowledge people!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255801

Before these BBP results came out, I was lucky that I went with this combo for under $145 total. According their results, it's the best performing and also happens to be the cheapest combo:

PRO DRY S Air Filter Part # AFE31-10004 in the OEM NNBS airbox
(I got mine on Amazon for around $40-45 shipped a few years ago)

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performa....aspx?t_c=74&t_s=6&t_pt=3147&t_pn=AFE31-10004

Airaid Modular Intake Tube (M.I.T.) Part # 200-996
(I got my through 4WP.com for just under $95 shipped a few years ago):

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performa...e.aspx?t_c=74&t_s=6&t_pt=5705&t_pn=EVE200-996

The ARH kit is my next big goal for my truck:

http://www.americanracingheaders.com/GM Truck 2007-2013 Full Size.html

Let us know how the Speedtek tune goes. I used to work at the 2nd Opinion Automotive Center behind Speedtek. Both shop's owners are good friends with and do business with each other, as well as recommend each other to customers based on each shop's certain areas of expertise. The guys at Speedtek are really good guys.

·
Central Florida Chapter
175 Posts
You still work at 4wp?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Here's a layout of 4.30, 4.56, and 4.88 with a 35x12.5. This is also assuming the tire size with the weight of the truck on it. My opinion is the 4.88s. If it's performance you want.

Speed/RPM with a 35x12.5 tire and your 6 speed

4.30 gears
45 mph = 1,295 rpm
55 mph = 1,580 rpm
65 mph = 1,870 rpm
75 mph = 2,155 rpm

4.56 gears:
45 mph = 1,370 rpm
55 mph = 1,680 rpm
65 mph = 1,980 rpm
75 mph = 2,290 rpm

4.88 gears:
45 mph = 1,465 rpm
55 mph = 1,800 rpm
65 mph = 2,120 rpm
75 mph = 2,445 rpm

As far as bolt ons. Do the exhaust, but just get a $550 wet shot kit from Nitrous express and jet an easy 75hp or 100hp shot. With a tune on top of that you'd eat a lot of people's lunch at the lights. After that if you are still not happy, look into a cam and a 2,600 to 3,000 rpm stall. Throwing a dart cam wise, with your 6.2 something like a 224/232 would be nice.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I remember watching videos of a new 6.2 on spray and it was no slouch at all. looks and sounds stock but doesn't run like stock

·
SOONER NATION
90 Posts
i am watching this thread, i have almost the same truck looking to do some of the same stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts