GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a month of working on it I finally got done with my headliner. I wanted to cover it in suede or leather, but I couldn't really put talk myself into buying the $45 a yard stuff, which in the end would have been cheaper on me. Oh well it's not that often you see glassed and painted headliner around where I'm at, so I figured I'd go ahead and do it. Enjoy the pics....

Chris
Acro Texas

HL1.jpg

HL2.jpg

HL3.jpg

HL4.jpg

HL5.jpg

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your dash a hard plastic dash, or is it the soft, foamy vinyl overlay stuff? If it's the hard plastic, all you need to do is sand it smooth with some 80 then 180 and finally with 320 grit sandpaper with preferrably a DA sander, prime it with a good high build, flexible primer. After that mist a light coat of spray paint (guide coat) over the entire area. Sand off this guide coat until you have nothing on there but smooth primer. If you have any guide coat left on there then you probably have texture left and need to reprime. If all the guide coat comes off and all the texture is out paint it like you would anything else. Now if it's the soft, vinyl overlay, that's a different story. I haven't quite figured that out yet, so I can't help you on that one. I may have you some info later on this one b/c I'm about to jump into a dash from a square body S-10.

Chris
Acro Texas

·
Banned
3,061 Posts
Is your dash a hard plastic dash, or is it the soft, foamy vinyl overlay stuff? If it's the hard plastic, all you need to do is sand it smooth with some 80 then 180 and finally with 320 grit sandpaper with preferrably a DA sander, prime it with a good high build, flexible primer. After that mist a light coat of spray paint (guide coat) over the entire area. Sand off this guide coat until you have nothing on there but smooth primer. If you have any guide coat left on there then you probably have texture left and need to reprime. If all the guide coat comes off and all the texture is out paint it like you would anything else. Now if it's the soft, vinyl overlay, that's a different story. I haven't quite figured that out yet, so I can't help you on that one. I may have you some info later on this one b/c I'm about to jump into a dash from a square body S-10.

Chris
Acro Texas
Its the soft vinyl, I know how to do a hard plastic dash.

Edit, headliner looks good.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck on it...I'm gonna try and treat it just like the hard plastic dash. I think as long as I don't bust through the vinyl then I'll be ok. Now if I bust through the vinyl and into the foam then I may try and use a flexible polyester putty (like they use in rubber bumper repair) to patch the spot and prime over it as normal. I'll keep you in mind since I've already got the half the dash sanded and smoothed.

Chris

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. It's REALLY a pain in the butt to do, so I'm not sure if I would want to do another one. It took me quite a while to do it (probably a total of 40 or so hours) so it may be pricey if I do another one. If someone wants to spend the money I'd be willing to do it though I guess. Just an FYI, I've got over $150 in just materials for this thing...

Chris

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
unique to say the least. Its nice to see some different besides the usual suede

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
i would like to make sexy-time to your headliner...

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
very nice...it reminds me of the old chevy's headliners that were metal painted the color of the truck

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Looks great man. How did you do it? On the soft dash i would say either glass over it or use a LOT of flex additive

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks great man. How did you do it? On the soft dash i would say either glass over it or use a LOT of flex additive
On the headliner, I just layed a layer of resin down over the old headliner material even though it took quite a bit of resin to wet it out. Then I layed a layer of mat over that, and repeated the process for another coat. After that I smoothed it out with a DA and 36 grit paper, applied body filler, then primed and painted just like anything else. It took forever to cut the glass with the DA, but it was worth it in the long run, I think...

Chris

·
Dem People
5,664 Posts
That's the shit right there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts