GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the rear end re-geared. Looks like the truck will be a 2wd for quite a while until I can afford to re-gear the front end. To be safe I had the front driveshaft pulled out (you never know).

Heres what I got:

4.56 gears
Auburn Pro limited slip differential
All new bearings
Last but not least a Mag-Hytech differential cover (pics below)

differential01.gif

differential02.gif

MotoHead

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
congratulations Justin:head: should be even nicer once you get the front regeared, but have fun breaking those gears in :anitoof:

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Shift said:
How does it drive without the front shaft? I've heard stories of it vibrating like crazy.

you can leave the front shaft in there if you pull the 4wd fuse, that way it cant engage 4wd mode.........

·
[>
3,255 Posts
:head: Awesome!
I know your still breaking them in but how do you like it so far?
What brand gears did you get?
Let me know how you like that Auburn when you get a chance to test it out. Proabaly what Im gona drop in, wish I could get a Detroit but dont think the 10blt. will like that too much.

Congratz :head:

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shift said:
How does it drive without the front shaft? I've heard stories of it vibrating like crazy.
I havent noticed any vibrations. What exactly vibrates?

BigBubbaBD said:
I know your still breaking them in but how do you like it so far?
What brand gears did you get?
So far I love it! Big improvement over 3.73s for sure. Im not sure what brand gears they put in but Ill find that out.

MotoHead

·
FEARS NO POTHOLE
311 Posts
i bet you are lovin the regear......i can't wait to get mine done, my 3.73's are killing me

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
damn i'm jelous once again, its just so expensive! And yeah i would just pull the 4wd fuse out of the box if i just did the rear, I accidently took it out one time hehe

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
pulling the shaft wont hurt anything. I think im going to ordering my 5.13s for the front d60 this week, tax return came in :devil2:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Is it that much harder to change the fronts, is that why you didn't do it? I am going to be doing mine the same time I put the lift on and didn't think to much about the front. Does the whole front diff. have to come out and be split? The rear won't be hard to do, but I am concerned w/ the front.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
What kinda MPG's you gettin?

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
00serria said:
Is it that much harder to change the fronts, is that why you didn't do it? I am going to be doing mine the same time I put the lift on and didn't think to much about the front. Does the whole front diff. have to come out and be split? The rear won't be hard to do, but I am concerned w/ the front.
It would be a good idea to re-gear the front end while your having your lift kit put on because it will be easy access to whoever is installing it. Because I already have a lift on my truck they would have to dis-assemble the lift kit to get to the front differential.

Todd said:
What kinda MPG's you gettin?
I need to get a programmer before I can find that out. My speedo and mileage are off so calculating my MPG wont be accurate.

MotoHead

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
how are the gears treating you motorhead, get back to us!

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kyle said:
how are the gears treating you motorhead, get back to us!
Well I havent been riding much lately so I havent even had a chance to take the truck up the hills with the new gears.

Street driving has improved for sure noticeably when driving up the steep freeway and highway grades. With the 3.73s my RPMs would be so low that Id have to step on the gas just to gain momentum to get up the grades and Id be workin the motor pretty hard. Now with the 4.56s my RPMs are already higher and its not necessary to punch the gas and I can cruise up the grades without having to work the motor as hard.

MotoHead

·
Registered
241 Posts
Congrats. Gear are the best way to get power to the pavement.

You could reinstall the D-shaft and just disconnect the cable running to the differential therefore bypassing pulling fuse and having gauge lights come on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts