GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04’ Yukon 5.3 L59 AWD 60E 140k
Gonna go with a Doorman TBSS intake while I’m doing this job so that also is being ordered with everything else! I can’t wait, hope to get it done the weekend after the holiday!
After a long week or two of looking and researching the options I had in mind for a cam I finally committed and placed my order today!
I went with the BTR Stage 4 V2 truck cam. ( BTR32430090 ) Due to stuff on the site I did not order springs, pushrods or anything else with it.
Cam specs : duration: 224/230 @.050”
Lift: .553”/.553” LSA:109
My main question is what do you think a good stall will be for this? The website recommends one but doesn’t give a range...
also, I’m replacing lifters cause one started making noise not long ago, ls7 lifters seem to be the go-to
with oem trays? And yes, I’m gonna our hardened pushrods & good springs in it, any recommendations? 7.4” pushrods? Any ones to avoid? And also, what springs? I know I should go with some better ones because of the power range from the cam but not sure on specific ones. I’ve found a ton of feedback aside from the cold start and street pull clip videos haha.
Thanks in advanced! Can’t wait to post it up when she’s done and turning heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The btr truck cams just use stock pushrods, 7.380 I think, And LS6 560 spring.

Get the hardened valve seals also cheap insurance from burin oil.

Why didn’t you just buy the cam kit, cheaper than getting it separate.

Reactions: Jack1181

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
That cam is a little on the large side for that heavy truck and with 9* overlap it's gonna have rowdy idle. When you have a cam with a lot of duration in a 5.3 it helps to have at least 10.0:1 and higher static compression. The intake valves close 41* after bottom dead center which also doesn't help with dynamic compression. The sooner you can close that intake valve the more dynamic compression the piston builds. That cam is still a touch large even for a 6.0 liter.

That said...

It's best to measure pushrod length with a $20 pushrod checker. If you forgo with checking... the 7.4 is the length to roll the dice on... as long as there has been no milling of the heads and using a stock head gasket. On assembly find zero lash and one half turn on the rocker bolt snug (before the 22 ft/lb torque) should give you .050 preload (actuality 0.47). Some like more on the LS7 lifters... but at least do the bolt turn check.

With the GM strike and the covid shutdowns LS7 lifters are hard to find (or they were). The bulk Delphi lifters are ok but the set I had were noisy. A good alternative and much better lifter is the Morel 6504. They run around $200 (WS6 Store no tax free shipping). Get the LS2 GM lifter trays DO NOT buy cheap knock off trays. If the lifter turns in the tray YOU ARE DONE!.

Do not forget to replace the camshaft retainer plate. The old plates orange gasket mashes flat and will cause oil pressure to dump from the oil galleys into the front cover causing low oil pressure. It's only $18 and worth the piece of mind.

Circle D 278mm 3200 stall converter HP series.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
“Designed to be used in conjunction with LS2/3/6 valve springs and stock pushrods”

It was made around the stock parts. A checker is a waste of $20, and 7.4s are too long. One of the few if not only cam that tells you the pushrods, no need for over thinking on this one.

“camshaft is suited for the consumer that wants maximum peak power and isn't looking to use their truck as a work horse in the towing department. The grind moves the powerband north, so bottom end torque will not be ideal for the everyday tow vehicle”

Description says it makes little power down low. Gonna be a turd in a heavy Tahoe. Need some tall gears, and big stall to make it move.

Speaking from experience that cam sucks. It was a turd in a single cab I did. Honestly I’m not a fan of any of the BTR truck cams for making power. They make sound, and the price is makes it an awesome choice if your doing a DOD fix or just want some noise. But I’d pick a old 220r over that any day personally. And would never put that stage 4 in anything, I do use the stage 3 quite often for DOD deletes. However the NNBS have 243/799 heads, way better intake and injectors, flat top pistons with higher compression. And they still leave a lot to be desired on power.

Basically you’re gonna hate life with that cam. I’d sell it, and buy the stage 3 package. IMO you need all the parts anyway, and will get a much better drivability, usable power band with minor sound change. Still would run at least a 3200.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
The btr truck cams just use stock pushrods, 7.380 I think,
It's actually 7.385 gauge length and right at 7.400" which is advertised length.

Below pics from Comp Cams. Which are "Trend" manufactured pushrods. BTR, Trick Flow, Comp etc. are Trend (except Manton which are custom length orders)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I’m looking at a comp 7.400, BTR 7.400, and a stock truck. Stocks for sure shorter. I’m sure you could argue a lot about my test, and other variables.

Fact is, there no need to confuse the man with this. BTR doesn’t recommend, or say stocks will work. They say it was designed for stock push rods.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Yep for sure. LS7 lifters will eat that 0.17 difference and then some... short travel lifters not so much.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hell if I know, the LS7 lifter term has be so muddled down. I’ve been running the summit brand lifters on them, and CTSVs for anything over .600 lift.

But the BTR truck cams are only 550 lift. It’s a budget cam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The btr truck cams just use stock pushrods, 7.380 I think, And LS6 560 spring.

Get the hardened valve seals also cheap insurance from burin oil.

Why didn’t you just buy the cam kit, cheaper than getting it separate.
The btr website was sold out of the pushrods and springs otherwise I would have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hell if I know, the LS7 lifter term has be so muddled down. I’ve been running the summit brand lifters on them, and CTSVs for anything over .600 lift.

But the BTR truck cams are only 550 lift. It’s a budget cam.
Rad. I was looking at the summit lifters. Thank you for throwing that in there

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Rad. I was looking at the summit lifters. Thank you for throwing that in there
I’ve had zero issues with them. But they have increased the price on them to the point I’m going to look at some better know name brand ones. Plus it took two months to get my last set.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The btr website was sold out of the pushrods and springs otherwise I would have.
I have a set of the BTR .560 springs for sale. Came with the truck cam package. Ran for around 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone used the Delphi lifters? PN:25341990K1 ?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
That’s regular LS7, the ones that use to be $75 for a set. But pretty sure Delphi isn’t making them anymore. Still out of stock every where I use to buy them from

12499225 is the GM Preformce ones. A lot stronger. Never had any issues with them, but about double the price of the standard LS7s. Had them in my white truck for years, shifting at 6800 rpms and never had a problem. Currently have them in my NNBS.

There’s a seller on amazon that has them for $170. Packaging isn’t GM, they say they buy them in bulk, seems to check out. If there not legit there the best fake I’ve ever seen.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Anyone used the Delphi lifters? PN:25341990K1 ?
Used them when I first built my LQ9. They always had the sewing machine noise I couldn't rid of. They never failed or damaged the Sloppy Stage II camshaft nor the second Cam Motion "little chopper" but I'll never buy another set of the Dlephi's. The Morel 6504 are only $199 and a far superior and so much quieter too. The Johnson 2110 are the best drop in lifters hands down but at $429 bucks :eek:. Remember you're talking about putting cheap bulk Delphi's on a $400 camshaft. A lifter failure will easily get the camshaft and if you're lucky... only the camshaft.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Used them when I first built my LQ9. They always had the sewing machine noise I couldn't rid of. They never failed or damaged the Sloppy Stage II camshaft nor the second Cam Motion "little chopper" but I'll never buy another set of the Dlephi's. The Morel 6504 are only $199 and a far superior and so much quieter too. The Johnson 2110 are the best drop in lifters hands down but at $429 bucks :eek:. Remember you're talking about putting cheap bulk Delphi's on a $400 camshaft. A lifter failure will easily get the camshaft and if you're lucky... only the camshaft.
Yea I don’t think I’m gonna use those. I’m undecided on what I’m gonna use between either the melling ls7 lifters or the summet one

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Thompson Motorsports has a set of worked Eaton lifters that he claims they never had a failure and use this lifter in all their high performance LS engine builds. They have the same plunger depth as the LS7's so they preload the same. I thought about them but went with the Morel's for the same price.

TMS LIFTERS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what made you decide to go with the dorman TBSS intake manifold? I picked up an oem one off amazon for like 150 bucks.
One of the magazines did a dyno test with the regular oem tbss the dorman one the fast and the new fast one. The dorman compared to the oem made like 8 or 9 hp more on dyno

1 - 20 of 21 Posts