GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has nothing to do with performance but everything to do with under the hood. I just pulled my vehicle out of storage where it has been for 9 months and it looks like a rodent got into the engine bay and had a little chew on the black heat shield that sits on the firewall.

Now I have seen many custom trucks without that heat blanket there but I'm sure those don't get driven a whole lot.

What are the effects of just cutting out all the rest and running it bare metal like the show trucks?? Will all the paint flake from the heat??

Thoughts?

If not does anyone have the part numbers for the black heat shield, 05 2500HD Silvi. Looks like it would be a bitch to install.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
26 Posts
I'm no help but I feel your pain. Same truck and driver side top portion was eaten away. Prolly stolen by a pack rat! Damn varmints. I wonder if the spray on heat/ sound barrier would work in place of that thick black piece? Mine is just missing that portion. Easy to forget if I leave the hood down.

iPhone therefore I dont

·
resident pyromaniac
7,499 Posts
My buddy's 99 never had one from the factory. I pulled it out of my 02 when I swapped engines as it cleaned up the firewall. My heatshield was falling apart from where I'd rubbed against it installing valvesprings, headers, etc. I say pull it IMO. I think it's mostly to deaden sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts