GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent most of today at the Hammers looking at many incredible rigs and talking to a lot of people I don’t really know. I spent most of my time with Fred Williams and John Reynolds and Fred gave me three gifts today. (1) The Jason Memorial Decal is displayed prominently on the Fun Buggy; (2) I’m now the proud owner of a Team Fun Buggy shirt and (3) the most dearest gift of all was a unstapled and untrimmed copy of the May issue of 4 Wheel & Off-Road. John gave a three gifts; (1) My personalized pit name tag with my Pirate name on it; (2) as mentioned before, Jason’s memorial decals on his rig and (3) a copy of his new poster that he was so kind to sign. What a start to 3 days of unbelievable hard core wheeling.

Now to the May issue of 4WOR; on pages 38, 39 and 40 is an article about an incredible guy whose family finished his huge Truggy after his death – an article well worth reading. It starts with:

“Did you ever know one of those guys who, no matter what time you call him, he’s willing to come help you out of a bad situation? Jason Payne was one of those guys. He would come if you needed a tow strap, a jump start, or even just to lend a hand moving. Even though he was only in his 20’s, he had the skills to completely rebuild his off-roader multiple times….”

Once you get your copy and read this article and see all the pictures I would like each of you to right a short letter to the editor letting him know what you feel about Fred’s writing, the article and how kind it was of 4WOR to do this article and keep Jason’s memory alive. Now to J’s Buggy built – who knows?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
:)

I hear the lakebed is packed, I hope you guys got a good spot.

Good to know the article is finally in print, I know it's been a long time coming, glad to hear Fred did a nice job writing it as well. I'm really looking forward to reading it, I hope all the facts we sent him got entered right. I never knew the forms for a feature article were so long.

Jason may not have gotten the coverage he deserved in life (IMO) but you have made sure no one will forget him after Ken.

Say hi to Este, John and Fred for me and tell Geoff I'm sorry I couldn't ride in from Vegas with him (having a job is a blessing and a curse).

·
OG
6,939 Posts
Awesome. Still miss his post :( I was wearing my shirt just yesterday.

Can't wait to read the article.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
glad to hear this, ive been waiting to get ahold of the mag. tell JR i said good luck and keep us posted. btw i will deff take the time to write him a later.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I never had a chance to talk to your son on the fourms, but I have read up on him and saw how taltented he was. He Seemed like he was a awsome guy, cant wait to read the article!!

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
So John pulled through with a 20th and a complete run, 1 of 34 total to complete the race.

What happened to Fred and the Fun Buggy? I despise cryptic coverage, I'll just have to manage to get down there next year to avoid this.

·
Illiterate Newbie
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the comments; I got home late last night after getting up at 3:30AM yesterday morning. I got to sleep in to 4:30 on Thursday morning, man I’m I tired.

:)

I hear the lakebed is packed, I hope you guys got a good spot.

Good to know the article is finally in print, I know it's been a long time coming, glad to hear Fred did a nice job writing it as well. I'm really looking forward to reading it, I hope all the facts we sent him got entered right. I never knew the forms for a feature article were so long.

Jason may not have gotten the coverage he deserved in life (IMO) but you have made sure no one will forget him after Ken.

Say hi to Este, John and Fred for me and tell Geoff I'm sorry I couldn't ride in from Vegas with him (having a job is a blessing and a curse).
I could not believe how many people were there and how much money in rigs was there and the carnage was unbelievable.

OK Kyle, Jason has made you famous with your picture and name in the article. Also, without you there Dr. Cracker broke his ankle – long story he tells best.

does anyone know when it hits the news stands? i can't wait to read this article
It mails with a couple of weeks and should hit the stands in about three weeks or less.

So John pulled through with a 20th and a complete run, 1 of 34 total to complete the race.

What happened to Fred and the Fun Buggy? I despise cryptic coverage, I'll just have to manage to get down there next year to avoid this.
JR was 20th after 1.5 hours in repairs on trail and about 1 hour in repairs in pit. I was told Steven Watson that JR was “flying” by everyone when the clamps holding his rear steering ram sheared off and the rear wanted to pass the front. Later he came into pit stop one somewhat sideways with ratchet tie downs trying to hold the rear wheels straight and by that time he had sheared the front clamps and had very little front steering. So, rig was refueled, serviced and the rams were welded directly to the frame and we sent him on his way. From there on we serviced rig at each pit stop and added steering fluid by the gallon and gave them 6 quarts to carry with them. It was so cool watch his pieced together rig passing other rigs going uphill in the rock portions, not just one but many and this being after the rig had self destructed.

The Fun Buggy hand-grenaded the tranny while in the rocks and was towed out about three hours after the race was over. I put my Fun Buggy team shirt on and we all met him at the finish line holding a 4 Wheel & Off-Road banner signed by all of us. I met Rick Pewe (editor-in-chief of magazine) and he said he knew Jason and was happy they finally had a Jason story in the magazine. We talked about how they asked Jason to join them in the Ultimate Adventure and he always said his truck would not like the street portion.

Last thing, at dinner last night JR and I discussed next years KOH – he’ll be back! :big_banana_Dance:

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments; I got home late last night after getting up at 3:30AM yesterday morning. I got to sleep in to 4:30 on Thursday morning, man I’m I tired.
You better get some sleep guy, you only have a weekend until your back to the daily grind.

I could not believe how many people were there and how much money in rigs was there and the carnage was unbelievable.

OK Kyle, Jason has made you famous with your picture and name in the article. Also, without you there Dr. Cracker broke his ankle – long story he tells best.
I should have known Jason be getting us back:crazy: I hope the picture is small. I'm really looking forward to a feature article of the truggy though, it just feels right.

As far as Mr. Geoffer's I take no responsibility whatsoever:tongue: People just seem to get hurt on Backdoor unless they're driving. Last trip it was Nate riding shot and endo'ing and then hitting his noggin and me hurting my foot all over again trying to help drag him back to his feet.

Geoff must have just been trying to out do us. Hope it heals up quick buddy, if you're laid up for too long Nate and I will have to move you back to CA all on our own...provided you get the good news you should mid March.

JR was 20th after 1.5 hours in repairs on trail and about 1 hour in repairs in pit. I was told Steven Watson that JR was “flying” by everyone when the clamps holding his rear steering ram sheared off and the rear wanted to pass the front. Later he came into pit stop one somewhat sideways with ratchet tie downs trying to hold the rear wheels straight and by that time he had sheared the front clamps and had very little front steering. So, rig was refueled, serviced and the rams were welded directly to the frame and we sent him on his way. From there on we serviced rig at each pit stop and added steering fluid by the gallon and gave them 6 quarts to carry with them. It was so cool watch his pieced together rig passing other rigs going uphill in the rock portions, not just one but many and this being after the rig had self destructed.

The Fun Buggy hand-grenaded the tranny while in the rocks and was towed out about three hours after the race was over. I put my Fun Buggy team shirt on and we all met him at the finish line holding a 4 Wheel & Off-Road banner signed by all of us. I met Rick Pewe (editor-in-chief of magazine) and he said he knew Jason and was happy they finally had a Jason story in the magazine. We talked about how they asked Jason to join them in the Ultimate Adventure and he always said his truck would not like the street portion.

Last thing, at dinner last night JR and I discussed next years KOH – he’ll be back! :big_banana_Dance:
Jeez, John's had some really rough luck the last 2 years. Between the link capture and the ram mounts I just think he needs to coat everything in a nice film of JB weld. That out to do it:crazy: He's got a whole year from now to practice. Maybe he needs to run the entirety of the race course from this year a few times and fully get it and force the weak links to rear their heads.

Too bad about Fred too, 700R4's will do that though. I'm curious to hear what his answer is, whether he has it built stouter or chooses a different means of transferring power.

Sounds like Mr. Pewe wasn't too hard of a convert to run the story:crazy: Glad to hear you got the chance to meet him and talk.

·
Eat Yo' Face
727 Posts
got my issue of Petersons in the mail today. awesome article! heres what to look for:
3-5-09pics028.jpg

3-5-09pics029.jpg

3-5-09pics030.jpg

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Awesome! I need to go to the store on my way to the house sometime next week.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I was just thinking of Jason the other day.

My buddy Rusty is from here in Lexington, Kentucky. He made the trip from Kentucky to California to run in the King of the Hammers.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Got my issue of 4WOR in the mail today...great article!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts