GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my poorboys package from chris in the group buy and have been dying to try it out and today i gave it a whirl. I only did the tailgate of my truck to try it out, but i am very impressed with the results. Keep in mind this is a 1999.

Let me know any tips or what you think!

-Washed with dishsoap
-ssr 2.5 on orange pad
-ssr 1 on white pad
-nattys blue

No before pics, but here are some reflection shots

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not, it's actually a RCSB Z71 5.3L. The guy who owned it before me put them on. Only thing i added was the GMT900 Letters.

·
1,847 Posts
Looks good but I've heard it's not good to use dish soap on vehicles as it is to harsh on the paint. I use to use it when washing cars until I found that out. Now I just buy the Maguires car wash soap. It's only like $4 for about a gallon of it and its concentrated so it'll last a long time

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Looks good but I've heard it's not good to use dish soap on vehicles as it is to harsh on the paint. I use to use it when washing cars until I found that out. Now I just buy the Maguires car wash soap. It's only like $4 for about a gallon of it and its concentrated so it'll last a long time
I think they use it to strip all old wax/polish off the vehicle to polish it.

I have heard it's bad too though, I'm wanting this cleared up too.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used dish soap to strip the wax and sealer off from the last time i did it. Any othertime i wash my trucks i use car wash soap.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Very nice so far! Keep it up and get some more pics posted!

As for the soap... yea, its been proposed that using dawn can dry out moldings and crap. Although I wouldnt use it, if its used once or twice a year, I dont think anyone would see any negative results from it. However, a safer bet would be to use a citrus based cleaner in heavy concentrate instead. ie: Citrus wash n gloss

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will for sure get some more pics up, i think im gonna do the whole truck again sunday, if this damn upstate ny weather would clear up.

Chris-
Thanks for the info on that cleaner, ill have to pick up some with my next order!

·
Low Life ↓
4,485 Posts
Very nice so far! Keep it up and get some more pics posted!

As for the soap... yea, its been proposed that using dawn can dry out moldings and crap. Although I wouldnt use it, if its used once or twice a year, I dont think anyone would see any negative results from it. However, a safer bet would be to use a citrus based cleaner in heavy concentrate instead. ie: Citrus wash n gloss
I love how you always slip an advertisement into every post...

·
A walking ball of wax
3,549 Posts
I love how you always slip an advertisement into every post...
Why?

It's the truth, I was actually going to recommend the same thing.

He's in business to sell car care products. Recommending a better product when someone asks for a recommendation shouldn't be viewed negatively.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He anwserd my question, and i read up on the posted product and seems like its the best route insted of using dishsoap...

·
Low Life ↓
4,485 Posts
Why?

It's the truth, I was actually going to recommend the same thing.

He's in business to sell car care products. Recommending a better product when someone asks for a recommendation shouldn't be viewed negatively.
didn't mean it negatively...i enjoy knowing what really works and what isnt shit....:shake:

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
The thing is, dish soap is fine but you have to use a Scotch-Brite pad to wash with to make it work extra good.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Dawn dish wash soap has been used for years to strip wax and sealant from paint. It is hard on waxes and sealants, not paint.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts