GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
180k & still > 4.8 Rams
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new here... this is the basics of what I wrote on another forum:

First off, there is almost no chance of this happening... but I figured Id consider it before I put money and time into the stock slug of a tbi 350.

The trucks in the sig... Its a '92, 2wd, tbi350, 700r4, 3.42 One-Wheel-Wonder.

Here's the situation: Its got 180,000 very original miles on it. The engine an tranny are unrebuilt. Weve been expecting the trans to fail for a while, but it just keeps going like the rest of the truck. On the other hand, the drivers side head gasket has started to leak...maybe seep is a better term. Also, this motor has been extremely reliable, and with 180k, it STILL isnt burning oil. And in the condition its in, I was able to beat my cousins 98 4.8 ram in a drag race :head: (I didnt think I stood a chance)

The trans has to be on its last leg and rebuild is about $800-$900. We plan on tearing the motor apart and fixing the gaskets this summer, but thats a project... and would it be worth the money if something else is going fail soon? like the trans?

Anyway... im wondering how much an LT1 + 4L60-E swap out of wrecked camaro or something would cost... Ive heard they almost bolt right up with the exception of some small stuff like the fuel pump, maybe radiator. That, and ill have a an extra 150+ hp :D

Oh yea, truck is a daily driver... will continue to be one. Im 18, and have little money for this... would have to save some up, and hope it keeps going for a while. oh yea, my car will become my daily driver when I do the head gasket or hopefully LT1 swap

Thoughts?

·
GMFS OG Member
760 Posts
If I were you I would just fix the truck, maybe put on some L98 heads and an Edelbrock 3704 intake and save the rest of the money for Camaro mods. :read: :flamingde This will minimize the downtime for the truck and I've heard its a bitch to got the electronics wired up for something like an LT1 swap.

·
180k & still > 4.8 Rams
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, maybe I should ask this then: Whats holding back the engine I have? 185hp is pretty weak for a 5.7 and I doubt its making 185hp anymore. I dont know what those heads/intake run but Ill look into it. Also, should I really be testing out my bottom end with performance parts at 180k?

edit: Oh, and would that intake affect my mileage at all?

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
chevys seem to last forever... We bought a replacement for my dad's car 5 years ago... The astro van keeps going and going. 170k miles on it, original motor and tranny. I think if u had all the eletronics from a Z, u wouldnt have many problems, just transplanting everything from one car to another. They did a Lt1 swap into a S-10 on trucks a couple years ago.

·
180k & still > 4.8 Rams
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Actually they make 210hp, 300 tq stock. If I had the money to upgrade, I would go for an edelbrock 3704 intake manifold, a different cam, and if i had the $$, L98 heads, and headers.

On the headers I wouldn't go for anything less than a good set of long tube headers. 91_bowtie is running the Hooker Competition ceramic coated long tube headers and seems to be very pleased with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts