GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best advice to try and fix this? It’s not a long term truck but it is embarrassing driving around like this. I’d like to fix this in anyway I can do it don’t look like this. Doesn’t have to look perfect but you know what I mean .

·
Registered
1 Posts
What would be the best advice to try and fix this? It’s not a long term truck but it is embarrassing driving around like this. I’d like to fix this in anyway I can do it don’t look like this. Doesn’t have to look perfect but you know what I mean .

View attachment 877399
Go get a can of POR15, brake cleaner, wet sanding paper. primer, and stock color matching paint. First thing to do is hit it with brake cleaner. Let it dry. Then use a paint brush with the POR15. Put on at least two coats, follow the instructions. After two days, then lightly wet sand it down. Use brake cleaner, then put another coat of POR15. Wet sand it down, brake cleaner, prime it, then paint it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
POR15 works well if you can completely cover/encapsule it. For example, in my driver's foodwell, it had some rust, wire wheeled it a bit, then applied a couple coats of POR15, and it hasn't shown any sign of additional rust (and it gets really wet every winter, even with floor matts). Alternately, the transmission crossmember I covered in POR15, the inside of it didn't get POR15, so after a couple of years, it shows signs of rust in spots on the outside, likely from water getting under the edges of the POR15.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 GMS Serria 1500, which the previous owner had Linex sprayed bed and rear wheel
wells, so far so good, but you may want to remove your tail light modules ,cause mine are rusted, so the Linex was not sprayed in there, cause once you fix the wheel well that will be next spot😡.

View attachment 877399

·
Registered
481 Posts
...note, none of the suggestions "fix" the problem, just cover it up and/or slow it down a little. To fix it is much more expensive, as you cut/grind the rust out, then add in new metal to make it solid again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Go get a can of POR15, brake cleaner, wet sanding paper. primer, and stock color matching paint. First thing to do is hit it with brake cleaner. Let it dry. Then use a paint brush with the POR15. Put on at least two coats, follow the instructions. After two days, then lightly wet sand it down. Use brake cleaner, then put another coat of POR15. Wet sand it down, brake cleaner, prime it, then paint it.
We will deal with some rust spots on my friend's new 2000 GMC Denali project after installing the new rotors and toyo tires this week. The rust spots are that bad on his Initial impression but we'll see if Por15 would be good enough.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If $300 flares is too much investment, just go grab a $5 can of white krylon. POR15 is not a fix for rust. It is just paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts