GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to work about an hour ago, and thanks to the good ol' streets of philadelphia. I clipped a man hole and completely mangled my y-pipe and bent in about a half inch of my trans crossmember right in the middle. Im a little pissed because now I have to get a new piece made instead of just sectioning the existing one.

* Just figured I would share my early morning woes with GMFS:wave:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, the NJ turnpike is atrocious as well. The city of philly has decided to tear up every damn road at once. I was doin like 65 and this thing was outta the ground like 6 inches. I figured either the y-pipe/crossmember was goin, or a wheel. Im glad it went down this way and not the latter.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I agree, the NJ turnpike is atrocious as well. The city of philly has decided to tear up every damn road at once. I was doin like 65 and this thing was outta the ground like 6 inches. I figured either the y-pipe/crossmember was goin, or a wheel. Im glad it went down this way and not the latter.
Your stimulus dollars at work.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I hit a speed bump a couple days after I bagged mine. Thats when I pulled it back into the garage and I am now trying to finish up raising the crossmember and the y pipe!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got back from rape you in the ass meineke. The owner of the shop said the flange is bent on the y-pipe at one of the headers. the section that hangs below the crossmember is toast.

What do you think my best option is at this point? Are there any aftermarket y-pipes that sit up higher. Should I just try and source another stock one? Try and fix this one?

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
take some pictures and we can evaluate what it needs. plus i just want to see that shit bent up :crazy: lol.

EDIT: im guessing hes talking about the flange that bolts up to the muffler and pipe thats closer to the ground. unless you have longtubes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im outback right now taking this bastard apart. its the driver's side flange on the ypipe where it meets the header thats leaking. Im just trying to get loose the 6 rusty ass bolts on that hold the y to headers, any sugestions, I dont want to snap them being they are studded into the header itself.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stock manifolds, i got all but 1 bolt out. the upper most bolt on the drivers side sucks big time. I used some good old pb blaster and some muscle, no air. tomorrow im gonna go to my boy's shop and hit it wit some air, and hopefully that gets it loose because it looks like it might be startin to strip :(

·
AAAAHHHH
3,595 Posts
Dude, stop making pointless random posts all the time. We dont care what happened to you that day.....

·
3,161 Posts
I would re-run the exhaust in 2.5" mandrel. Go over the trans cross member on the driver side and cross back over after. Raising the y-pipe under your trans is stupid imo. Way to close to the pan and I prefer to keep that heat away. Plus have fun unbolting your exhaust everytime you drop the pan. Just my opinion and nice job Bob :thumbsup:

·
#NBHNC
2,828 Posts
I'm honestly surprised I haven't done that yet. I have right at 2.0 inches of clearance at the Transmission X-member.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude, stop making pointless random posts all the time. We dont care what happened to you that day.....

haha good one:crazy:. im suprised you found my thread quite honestly bud, I figured you would have been makin a few threads about raising your truck and then lowering it. this thread is for constructive commenting, not for those who need a little hand holding through the world of making suspension decisions:ninja:

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Those flange studs are a bitch. I ended up cutting my y pipe because i was so frustrated with it but i was replacing it with an ory. Soak it in pb blaster for a few hours.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those flange studs are a bitch. I ended up cutting my y pipe because i was so frustrated with it but i was replacing it with an ory. Soak it in pb blaster for a few hours.
I think thats what im going to do for this last stud. I am going to soak it, and then heat the shit out of it, and hopefully extract it.

·
AAAAHHHH
3,595 Posts
haha good one:crazy:. im suprised you found my thread quite honestly bud, I figured you would have been makin a few threads about raising your truck and then lowering it. this thread is for constructive commenting, not for those who need a little hand holding through the world of making suspension decisions:ninja:
I know right...Well, I do not have the truck anymore. So no more of those threads. I couldn't take it anymore that I frustrated you so much. But in the future, I choose you to hold my hand.

:crazy:

On a serious note. Sucks about the exhaust. Mine was waisted. It was even raised a little, and still hit the ground.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts