GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
*SELFMADE*
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I pull up close to a car infront of my or am on the freeway late at night i notice that my HIDs are flickering. Is it just from the bumpy ride or maybe I installed them poorly? Anyone have this problem ever or does it not ever matter!

·
Watchu know about trucks?
1,154 Posts
I dont have that problem. I have HID's for my low beams and fog lights. Only thing I notice is because of the stupid way the fog lights are mounted to the bumper, they wobble. And its really noticable with HID's. There should of been one more mointing point for those lights. I'm gonna have to fab something up.

·
*SELFMADE*
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya thats what I thought I might have to do, but it seems like most of the time its a pretty solid light output then on occasion its flickering. Is there any harm im doing not having a harness?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
2. One set for the lows and another for the fogs. When I got mine I went with one for the lows only and I had a ballast go out on one of the fogs. Some people never have problems, but I wasn't so fortunate. When I replace the fogs next time I'm getting a harness for those too.

·
Lifted 2wd club
1,137 Posts
Yep, ballast will probably be on its way out soon. Ive seen it happen alot on our HID kits. Mine was flickering a lot until one day thats all it did was just flicker........couldnt keep constant voltage. With the ballast the way it is now, the damage has probably already been done, but still buy the relay harness. Then when that comes in, try it out, the ballast will probably do the same thing, maybe not. If so, send the ballast back in under warranty, swap back to your halogen bulbs, then when the new ballast comes in, you should be set. Just from a personal experience and opinion.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I got the ddm kits that were $40 and returning it would cost almost as much as a new set, so I'm going to order another set and keep the one good ballast as a backup.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I would get the Pilot brand relay at autozone and replace it with the one that comes with the harness. Thats what other members here recomended to me.

·
*SELFMADE*
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So since im in LA ups delivered my harnesses which i ordered yesterday today ha, but can someone please explain how i install these?? or pictures or something i feel lost

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The red cable to the positve on the battery or the positive terminal next to the alt. The black to a good ground that is bare metal. Plug the stock headlight on the drivers side to the harness and connect the harness to the drivers side and passenger hid. You don't use the stock headlight plug on the passenger side. I hope that makes sense.

·
*SELFMADE*
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so I will have 2 red cables hooked to the positive of my battery since i have fogs also? maybe ill look for a diagram online haha. thanks for the help though

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Good question if your running two harness's. Hopefully someone who has done this will post as I only have one hooked up to my lows.

·
1,847 Posts
I need to go hookup my relay that came with my HIDs since 1 of mine flickers every now and then

1 - 20 of 27 Posts